• Page:

TOPIC: Relink "Missing" Proxy Files

Relink "Missing" Proxy Files 18 Feb 2020 17:35 #104723

• JP_7799
  • JP_7799's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there, hope someone can help me out with this problem.

I created proxy files for my library, and I had no problem simply switching to Proxy view to work with the proxy files. But since then I've had to move my footage to a new Media folder. I had no problem relinking to my original media files, but now when I select Proxy under the View tab, I get a Missing Proxy alert for all my clips.

The proxy files are still contained within the same "Final Cut Proxy Media" folder, but FC no longer seems to locate and/or recognize them. Is there a way to set the location for my proxy files so that FC will read them again when I switch to Proxy view?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Relink "Missing" Proxy Files 19 Feb 2020 12:12 #104750

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 284
Proxies cannot be relinked. This has long been an issue with FCPX.

There is an undocumented procedure whereby if you try to re-create off-line proxies which already exist, it will sometimes recognize the existing proxies in the new location and simply relink them. In my testing this is not reliable and usually results in redundant proxy files being created.

There is another undocumented procedure which in some cases can update the new proxy location using Finder aliases. However in my testing this is not always reliable. I would never try this without a full file-level backup of the library. Note the below procedure is moving proxies out of the library using Finder aliases. For off line external proxies, the procedure is similar - delete current symlinks inside the library proxy folder, then use the described method to create Finder aliases for the new proxy location and add those to the library proxy folder. If you are not very familiar with working at a file level inside the library bundle, don't think about trying this.

"Cheating Final Cut Pro X proxies...using aliases": www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1828-...ant-by-using-aliases

Overview: Proxies can be stored inside the library or outside. If outside the library, symlinks inside the library point to each external proxy file. Using the above procedure you create Finder aliases and copy those within the library proxy folder. Note: aliases and symlinks are similar but different entities. Upon re-launch undocumented code within FCPX scans the aliases, resolves the pathname and constructs a similar symlink.

This procedure is undocumented and not always reliable. Out of desperation, users have been driven to try things like this. The only reliable method in the current product is delete any off line proxies and re-create them. For a large library this can take days.

Last edit: by joema.

Relink "Missing" Proxy Files 19 Feb 2020 16:39 #104760

• JP_7799
  • JP_7799's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

Fortunately my library isn't that big so I'll probably just re-create the proxies. Good to know there is an option using the aliases. I'll try that out sometime as well when I have some time to experiment.

• Page: