• Page:

TOPIC: Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights

Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights 01 Mar 2020 03:29 #105053

• Ga
  • Ga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
(I'm not sure why my previous posts didn't show up. I'm sorry if you see duplicates. This is my newest edit of this post).

When viewing a non-HDR clip in Finder/Preview or QuickTime, highlights and blacks are correctly exposed. By correctly, I mean as shot. When the same file is imported to FCPX highlights are overexposed / blown out. Even though I found few solutions, that helped others in the past, they seem not to apply to my situation.

Newest find: It seems that HD footage is not affected and problem exists only with 4K footage.

When viewing settings in the Inspector, there is no LUT applied. Color LUT is set to None. Color profile for 4K clips is 1-1-6 and for HD clips is HD 1-1-1. Color space of my Library is set to Standard. Any ideas how to change the color profile for 4K clips?

My setup:
- OSX Catalina 10.15.3
- FCPX 10.4.8
- 4K clip shot on Canon 1DX mark II

No matter if clip is imported as shot or transcoded. It shows up the same in the project. I tried creating new Library/Project with the same results.
Compressor also shows 4K clips with blown out highlights and changing color space to 709, or other options, doesn't help either.

Is there any other setting that needs to be changed?

I've spent over 4 hours trying to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ga.

Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights 01 Mar 2020 14:59 #105072

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285

Ga wrote: ....Color profile for 4K clips is 1-1-6 and for HD clips is HD 1-1-1. Color space of my Library is set to Standard. Any ideas how to change the color profile for 4K clips?...

Select the 4k clips in the event browser, then in Inspector>Info tab, at bottom select "Settings". Set color space override to Rec 709. To avoid it happening again, examine 1DX Mark II menus to determine why it's exporting a Rec 601 (1-1-6) color profile for 4k material.

Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights 02 Mar 2020 01:59 #105084

• Ga
  • Ga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote:

Ga wrote: ....Color profile for 4K clips is 1-1-6 and for HD clips is HD 1-1-1. Color space of my Library is set to Standard. Any ideas how to change the color profile for 4K clips?...

Select the 4k clips in the event browser, then in Inspector>Info tab, at bottom select "Settings". Set color space override to Rec 709. To avoid it happening again, examine 1DX Mark II menus to determine why it's exporting a Rec 601 (1-1-6) color profile for 4k material.

Thank you for your reply!

I did set color space override to Rec 709 and there was a slight change to the clips but no significant changes to the highlights. They are still overexposed.

I also tried other color space override settings, as well as LUTs, with no change.

Is there a way of changing a color profile to HD (1-1-1)?
Any other suggestions?

P.S.
It's been over 8 hours since I replied to your post but my reply is still not visible. Not sure what is happening.

Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights 02 Mar 2020 15:03 #105099

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285

Ga wrote: ...Is there a way of changing a color profile to HD (1-1-1)?
Any other suggestions?...

For some reason both 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II only record 4k in 8-bit 4:2:0 in Rec 601 color space. The 5D4 has been around a long time so there must be some FCPX solution for that, but I don't have that camera and I can't find any modest-size 4k video 5D4 or 1DX2 samples to download. If you can upload somewhere a brief 4k video sample which I can download I'll examine it. Those cameras use MJPEG at a very high bit rate so it must be short to avoid an excessive file size.

Imported 4K clip has overexposed/blown out highlights 19 Mar 2020 09:47 #105411

• ajayroddy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just spent the last few hours with the same problem and was shitting myself because it was a wedding video im editing. So so relieved to end up finding this video on youtube with the answer!

Hope this helps.

• Page: