fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do I need to apply the Panasonic V-Log LUT AS WELL as magic bullet looks?

Do I need to apply the Panasonic V-Log LUT AS WELL as magic bullet looks? 22 Mar 2020 10:29 #105491

• william.caversham
  • william.caversham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi there,

Hoping you can help. I'm a bit confused about LUTS and grading.

The footage I have was filmed with two Panasonic GH5s in Panasonic V-Log.

When I've been editing I've applied the Panasonic V-Log LUT in the Camera LUT section of the Inspector.
This was really just so I wasn't staring at footage that looked washed out.

Now I've done the edit and I want to apply a "Look" to it from Magic Bullet I'm uncertain whether to take the Camera LUT off and let Magic Bullet do all the work or leave it on and let Magic Bullet work with that footage.

I *think* I need to leave the Camera LUT ON in the inspector but only because Magic Bullet doesn't seem to have a dropdown for v-log.

But then perhaps I'm not taking full advantage of Magic Bullet because, by assuming the footage is just video, it doesn't have access to all the data of the colours.

Anyway; any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by william.caversham.

Do I need to apply the Panasonic V-Log LUT AS WELL as magic bullet looks? 22 Mar 2020 11:19 #105492

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
The FCPX online user manual says about camera LUTs (here I have to translate from german, you may want to check in your language):

"Camera LUTs are applied library-wise and in first place before any other effect. As opposed to custom LUTs (or any other effect, for that matter) that are applied in the project, at any time and in no specific order" ...

Now, there'd be a lot to write about what that means. Two short answers:

1. A LUT in the *first* place of any changes acts like a filter. VLog will effectively be 709 video afterwards because all other values are cut off. You might as well have filmed in a video profile like Standard. On the other hand, if you are not very experienced or knowledgable regarding color grading, you can do exactly that: keep the camera LUT and slap on the MB Look LUT. Done ...

2. You can download a Vlog-to-709-LUT from many places, make it a custom LUT and still the first effect you apply. But then you put all other corrections for contrast, brightness, color balance and so forth before the LUT in the effects' list in inspector. That way you have access to every value beneath the LUT. After that (and as the last effect in the pipeline), you put Magic Bullet.

Do I need to apply the Panasonic V-Log LUT AS WELL as magic bullet looks? 22 Mar 2020 15:37 #105497

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
There are camera LUTs and Look LUTs. Camera LUTS correct raw clip from the camera to look like it should for editing. Look LUTs are done to get a stylized look after the fact. Keep the camera LUT for sure. Add the Look LUT if you like the style.

Do I need to apply the Panasonic V-Log LUT AS WELL as magic bullet looks? 23 Mar 2020 10:53 #105520

• william.caversham
  • william.caversham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you; this was really well explained. Really appreciate it since I was completely in the dark :)

Love this forum.

• Page: