TOPIC: confusion about disappearing clip fx

confusion about disappearing clip fx 30 Mar 2020 09:03 #105729

• barryhill
  • barryhill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I am quite new to FCP and still trying to get my head around the Events, Projects, Library, Clips categories. Seems horrendously complicated and counter intuitive.

One aspect of my struggle is a question really. When I import a clip and work on it in the timeline, will I lose those transitions etc if I delete the clip from the time line? I have about 10 clips from a symposium I video'd and I am trying to work out how to just have one clip visible at a time on the timeline? Is this possible?

I suspect it isn't possible and that all the clips I import must remain in the timeline once I have worked on them? Is this correct?

If someone could offer a really simple explanation of how to store and work on a project in FCP I would be very grateful.

barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

confusion about disappearing clip fx 30 Mar 2020 10:03 #105731

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
Top level - Hard Drive - contains Libraries.
Second level - Libraries contain Events.
Third level - Events contain Projects and media.
Very simple.

When you place a copy of a clip into a Timeline (Project) it's like any other NLE, it's a copy, not the original in the Browser. If you delete that timeline copy of the clip, it is no longer in that Timeline. Does it keep the transitions? No, you deleted that copy, so of course anything you did to it is deleted, also.

To just have one clip visible in a Timelien at a time? Why? What would the purpose be? Do you want to alter the original in the Browser? Select it, go to the Clip menu, Open Clip. That will open the clip into its own Timeline. This is not a Project, it is the clip's own timeline. Whatever you do to that original in the Browser, will carry over to any copy of it you place in other (Project) timelines.

I'd highly recommend you take a course, it'll save you tons of time down the road. Check out macProVideo or Ripple Training.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

confusion about disappearing clip fx 30 Mar 2020 16:17 #105737

• jamesroy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Please unsubscribe me from this topic.

confusion about disappearing clip fx 31 Mar 2020 08:08 #105756

• barryhill
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I appreciate the time you have taken explaining. I guess what is 'simple' for one person is 'complex' for another - maybe something to do with comprehension and learning styles. Some people, like me, learn from watching and from repetition. I am dyslexic, so what might appear to be a 'simple' structure can pose orientation and navigation challenges. For some reason the structure used by Logic Pro does not 'compute' for me. But I will perservere!

confusion about disappearing clip fx 31 Mar 2020 13:52 #105760

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
I'm dyslexic, also, and this organizational structure has nothing to do with that. You asked about Final Cut Pro, not Logic Pro. Just take the course by Ripple Training or the one from macProVideo, you'll be up and running in no time.

confusion about disappearing clip fx 01 Apr 2020 10:38 #105782

• barryhill
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
there are around 100 different forms of dyxlexia - mine is to do with relating component parts to the whole, I've struggled with that all my life. As I said, one man's simple is another man's challenge ... I am talking about final cut pro, sorry.

• Page: