• Page:

TOPIC: Ingesting a DVCAM recording without the timecode

Ingesting a DVCAM recording without the timecode 04 Apr 2020 14:30 #105898

• Lightman15
  • Lightman15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to ingest a DVCAM tape into FCPX. It is a pre edited show I did years ago. It should be a simple play in as one big file but FCPX is deciding to break it up into clips, governed by time-code that I didn't even know was there. As far as I was concerned it was a continuous tun for 90 minutes or so. In the old days as a picture editor with Avid you could start the editor recording with no machine control then press play on the source. This meant any time-code discontinuities were passed over. I am using a DSR11 to play in, which is a very basic machine. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ingesting a DVCAM recording without the timecode 05 Apr 2020 05:53 #105905

• Francois
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
I'm not sure the new QuickTime player can detect dsr11 firewire but it could be an easy solution:
menu > File>New Movie Recording
I don't think QuickTime player will care about TC
It's worth a try.

Ingesting a DVCAM recording without the timecode 05 Apr 2020 16:11 #105913

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
I am quite sure that those breaks are dropouts in the tape. Quicktime will stop recording when those are detected, while final cut will continue but make a new clip. We see this a lot when transferring older 8mm tapes and I suspect DVCam, while it is a much better format will suffer from the same thing, especially if the playback deck is a consumer version. In fcpx, once the capture is completed and you have several clips in the browser, you can select them all at one and drag to a timeline. They will be in order and you can master your final movie. You might have some audio sync errors, so worth it to scrub and check. You can avoid a lot of this hassle if you use the S-Video output of the DSR11 instead of Firewire, but you'll need to run that into a DV converter with internal sync or TBC and feed your computer with the Firewire of the converter. Better option would be to use the analog signals of the deck into a BMD Intensity Pro 4K or similar device - but this depends on what computer you are using.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Ingesting a DVCAM recording without the timecode 05 Apr 2020 16:21 #105914

• jamesroy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Unsubscribe Me Please

• Page: