fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help request - setting up clips in the timeline without going insane?

help request - setting up clips in the timeline without going insane? 05 Apr 2020 10:32 #105907

• barryhill
  • barryhill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I have referred to the manual a few times and read some forum posts but continue to have problems setting up clips in the timeline? I think others have experienced this a bit too.

I have a project set up and about 20 clips which need to be spliced together into around 6 presentations, with intro and outro screen.

I have composed the intro and outro screens in Motion and they are working well.

My browser has all the clips listed and I have tried to slide these over to the timeline so I can begin the process of lining them up into single presentation each with the intro template and outro template.

The first few clips are fine, but as I introduce more clips I notice that they are jumping around, interfering with previous clips, sometimes they become stuck and cannot be moved at all.

I have tried to select POSITION understanding that this temporarily released the magnetic timeline, but the results are just about the same.

I want to be able to get all my slips into separate timelines so I can shift them around without everything jumping around, which is driving me slightly bonkers.

I suppose an alternative would be to create a separate project for each presentation and have just one set of clips on the timeline.

Any advise/tips for setting up these clips into separate timelines without jumping around would be really welcome.

barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

help request - setting up clips in the timeline without going insane? 05 Apr 2020 14:38 #105909

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190
HI Barry
As I understand, you want to create 6 separate "presentations" with each presentation sharing many clips, but with each presentation having unique clips inserted or replacing other clips. Each will be delivered as separate videos, not just a simple which is better version change for the same client. For that you could use "Auditions".
My advice is just to create the first presentation including all the "shared clips" i.e. Intro/Outro.
Then duplicate the Project (Timeline) 5 additional times and rename each project with descriptive names. Just duplicating the projects does not add duplicate media, it just links back to original files, so the duplication process is fast (seconds) and efficient and creates almost no extra file sizes.
Your first project should now be completed. Open the next project and "replace edit" any clips that need to change and add in any new clips, finish the edit and move to next project.
As to the jumping around, I assume this is just standard way magnetic timeline default works that you are seeing??? More info might help. Personally, I find the magnetic timeline wonderful, it really works to eliminate blank frames, out of sync audio and a host of other problems. Fighting the magnetic timeline and using the "Position Tool" will slow down the edit and create problems.
Hopefully, once you decide to use separate projects, you will be able to organize the clips on the timeline as you need.
If you plan on using your "Intro/Outro" clips in the future, you can create and save a new project that just includes the common elements for future use. Gives you a good start that you can open/duplicate/modify.

Hope this Helps, Greg

help request - setting up clips in the timeline without going insane? 05 Apr 2020 15:06 #105911

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 474
You only need the first 5 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JfwVhavW8

help request - setting up clips in the timeline without going insane? 06 Apr 2020 08:05 #105932

• barryhill
  • barryhill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks to all who have offered help. I am really appreciating this forum and trying to balance self help with asking for advise. I think the first few months with new software is always going to be challenging and it really helps having the forum here.

I had a breakthrough moment with this challenge yesterday, which is a relief. I realised that by setting up separate events/projects for each presentation results in a separate timeline. My problem was trying to do it all on one timeline, which was a bit silly on reflection, of course the magnetic qualities are going to mess up that idea.

Once I did the separate events/projects idea within one library, that solved the problem. I now work discretely on just one timeline, enjoying the useful magnetic qualities, then just switch to another event/project when I want to work on another presentation. And, of course, I still have access to all the FX and Transitions etc common to all presentations.

Thanks again for the help

barry

• Page: