fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X?

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 14 Apr 2020 22:27 #106193

• oxband
  • oxband's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a student project that's a verite film. Some interviews done but mostly footage of reforestation workers. I probably have like over 70 hours. I worked in FCP X. I spent way too much time logging it, but I logged the f%#! out of it. I keyworded it so you can easily find a 2 shot that wide with any two particular people, and transcripts for interviews or events at work are put in clip notes.
I got some grant funding and I'm now moving the project forward. I have enough funding for an editor for 6 months or so, so I can turn this into a real quality doc with fantasies of PBS broadcast in my head.

Question: the editor I chose works in Premiere. She's the right fit for the specs I was looking for (local, bilingual, verite experience). I could send the library over to her with the program X to 7 and some of the metadata is saved. Or I could ask her to learn FCP X. Part of me thinks since we're making a verite film and so much of that will come out in the editing, all that metadata is particularly useful. If it was a more traditional doc where I knew more closely what the scenes and beats are from the get-go, then I probably wouldn't consider asking her to learn FCP.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 15 Apr 2020 16:16 #106208

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I am sure she will be able to edit it just fine using Premiere Pro. She can easily add metadata in Premiere Pro as needed. Perhaps some of the metadata will transfer over.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 15 Apr 2020 17:13 #106213

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 505
Your film, you put in the time already, tell her to learn FCPX.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 15 Apr 2020 23:28 #106217

• Doug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
There are lots of editors out there. Just let her know if she wants the gig she has to do it in FCPX. If that’s a deal breaker for her, I’m sure you’ll be able to find another great candidate.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 16 Apr 2020 04:12 #106221

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Yeah, going back and forth between NLEs is a royal pain, avoid it if possible. Yes, you "can" translate an XML between the two NLEs with third party utilities, BUT not everything gets translated, and it's a royal pain, seriously. Tell her to learn FCPX. Cause you'll want that all in tact when it comes back to you.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 16 Apr 2020 08:42 #106227

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

arc wrote: I am sure she will be able to edit it just fine using Premiere Pro. She can easily add metadata in Premiere Pro as needed. Perhaps some of the metadata will transfer over.

incompetent advice... "perhaps" is not "pro"

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 16 Apr 2020 16:11 #106237

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

Xavier Novembre wrote:

arc wrote: I am sure she will be able to edit it just fine using Premiere Pro. She can easily add metadata in Premiere Pro as needed. Perhaps some of the metadata will transfer over.

Are you on these forums to be helpful or be an a-hole?

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 17 Apr 2020 08:52 #106258

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

arc wrote:

Xavier Novembre wrote:

Are you on these forums to be helpful or be an a-hole?

hahaha in term of a-hole your the toxic master ! I leave that to you. That's why you've been kicked off others groups.

If wrong advices are "helping" ... stop "helping ! :)

and don't play "good samaritain" that's pervert behavior

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 17 Apr 2020 12:45 #106269

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I wish you'd both stop being like that, it doesn't help anyone solve a problem, nor does it relate to learning FCPX.

Oxband, have your editor download the free 90-day trial of FCPX, go here to get started.

And here to look things up she needs additional help with.
support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/welcome/mac

And be sure to tell her to forget everything she knows about any NLE ever. None of it will translate into FCPX workflow literally.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 19 Apr 2020 08:36 #106322

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
dear arc you started with the name-calling but I know your kind of personnality, needs to post "last message" , it's clinical...

so I'll let you do that :)

Last edit: by Xavier Novembre.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 19 Apr 2020 09:04 #106323

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Arc and Xavier, how do these insults to each other serve to answer the OP question? Please refrain from such behavior and spreading what has already been established as propaganda. This sort of behavior is not helping anyone.

Thoughts on asking someone who works in Premiere to learn FCP X? 19 Apr 2020 10:49 #106327

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
I agree with FCPX.guru: jumping between different NLEs to edit a project is always a PITA. If your editor is freelance, she should know every NLE that she is asked to work with. Especially if the project has already been started in a certain NLE. If she cannot or won't learn FCP X for consistency on this project, there are thousands of experienced editors looking for a job in these times who will be very happy to jump in.

I also find it incredibly stupid when I see people argue over a piece of software. I will say this once again: this is a help forum, not a discussion forum. Everyone here will be thankful for practical answers based on real-world experience, no-one is interested in guesses or name-calling.

- Ronny

• Page: