• Page:

TOPIC: Linking a file to Motion

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 14:00 #106422

• damodexter
  • damodexter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Can I work with a project in Motion and then import/link it to FCPX? Then if I make a change in the Motion project, it updates automatically to FCPX? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 14:11 #106423

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Also if I convert a project to a composition etc, where is this saved please? I can't find it anywhere. Can I import this comp into FCPX? Will it update changes I make in Motion in the FCPX project? Many thanks

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 15:22 #106424

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Unfortunately, as it currently stands, Motion doesn't have a built in linking system to link directly to Final Cut Pro X projects. What Motion currently does is to create an effect, generator, graphic, and send it over to Final Cut Pro X to use. So it can be viewed as a tool to create effects for Final Cut Pro X. Anything you wish to do with a specific project in Motion would require exporting a movie file from Final Cut Pro X and imported into Motion.

I believe there's a semi solution called Xsend to Motion by Automatic Duck.

www.automaticduck.com

To my understanding, there are still some limitations on what it can translate over.

Edit from rereading.

If you work directly in Motion, just to send what you create to Final Cut Pro X, it can be saved as a generator, which would be found in Final Cut Pro X generator library. Custom generators you created are found in the Motion Templates folder, located in the Movies folder in finder. Any changes you make to the generator already on a Final Cut Pro X timeline would have to be reapplied I believe.

Last edit: by deweyt44.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 15:43 #106425

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
You create Templates in Motion for use in Motion: Titles, Effects, Transitions, Generators. These can be modified at any time in Motion and will be updated in FCPX's content browsers. Simply right-click the template and choose "Open In Motion". Built-in templates that come with FCPX and those from third-party developers that use coding (FXPlug, Xcode, etc) can not be modified.

You can convert anything to a regular Motion project file, or a regular Motion project file to any of the specific template types. The option is in Motion's File menu.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 16:42 #106427

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for that. Basically work done in Motion and saved out as a title, generator etc appears in the FCPX installed titles. It doesn't need to import it, as it's already saved it into FCPX. That's brilliant thanks very much. I'm guessing that updates to the motion title, will be automatically updated in FCPX??

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 16:51 #106428

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
In the Title, Generator, or effects library, yes it will. If the title is on the timeline, then it will need to be reapplied (as in dragging the title onto the old title on the timeline and replace.)

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 16:53 #106429

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok but the changes will be made to the file that's within the library? It just needs re-applying if it's already been used? Thanks

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 16:57 #106430

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I just tested, and stand corrected :)

If you make the changes in Motion while Final Cut Pro X is still open, quit Final Cut Pro X and reopen, then the title or effect will be updated on the timeline. I just learned something new today.

Sorry for incorrect info.

Last edit: by deweyt44.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 17:15 #106431

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
No problem cheers. I'm really new to FCPX, but it has some great features.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 20:25 #106435

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Just wondered if you might be able to help me further please? I now bring in the new title created in Motion into FCPX. It runs maybe 2 seconds to long, so I blade the FCPX title and delete the bit I don't want. Why does FCPX then re-time the clip, I've just bladed out of and therefore makes the animation quicker and now the wrong duration? That's frustrating I just want to take an early out. I appreciate if I just drag the out point it changes the animation I get that, but a blade edit doing the same thing? thanks

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 20:51 #106437

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 21:08 #106438

• damodexter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That's great thanks very much.

Linking a file to Motion 22 Apr 2020 23:51 #106442

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com

deweyt44 wrote: I just tested, and stand corrected :)

If you make the changes in Motion while Final Cut Pro X is still open, quit Final Cut Pro X and reopen, then the title or effect will be updated on the timeline. I just learned something new today.

Actually you do not need to restart FCPX, just wait a minute, it will register the change. I do this daily.

Yes, FCPX retimes templates so that they are more flexible. You can either use the timing markers as the video shows, or if you don't want to lock the template in like that, or are using a third-party template, put it inside of a Compound Clip and then cut the CC. It won't retime then.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Linking a file to Motion 23 Apr 2020 07:07 #106447

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

it's kinda mixed : your info was incorrect because it changed in some recent version !

say you go to Motion and alterate a title template in an opened project in Timeline

- prior to this back in Fcp, you needed to select the Title in timeline and double click the (modificated) Template Title... in title browser to change it in the Timeline. Everything you typed remaining.

- now it is reported here and elsewhere that it will update by itself in the Timeline, as you tested it.. (meaning you need to publish the altered Title with a new name if you don't want the modification to populate in every occurence. meaning every other Title you generated with that template previously.

I haven't tested it but :

does it happen automatically in other projects in the Event ? others events ? other Libraries ? I guess as soon as you open a project it does

Last edit: by Xavier Novembre.

Linking a file to Motion 23 Apr 2020 11:46 #106449

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
FCPX updating changed templates without restarting has always happened since version 1. It does not need to have a new name unless you have personal reasons to do so. Simply do a Save before quitting Motion.

As for the "copy" you have in the Timeline, just like clips, these are not hardwired. So you simply need to do a Replace Edit and you're good to go.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Linking a file to Motion 24 Apr 2020 08:55 #106486

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: FCPX updating changed templates without restarting has always happened since version 1. It does not need to have a new name unless you have personal reasons to do so. Simply so a Save before quitting Motion.

DUH !!!! FcpX "Guru"

Yes, FcpX updated change in Motion Template since v1 but without changing it in the Project (wich is the only thing I am talking about

meaning it was only updated in Title Template Browser, not in Project Timeline

so... now. if changes are reflected automatically in the TL you need to change template's name if you don't want the change in every title previously generated with that template.

Linking a file to Motion 24 Apr 2020 12:20 #106490

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I don't understand what you're saying, no changes are automatically reflected in the Timeline, and what name are you changing?

Linking a file to Motion 24 Apr 2020 16:15 #106510

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

okay, ? so now have a new and thoroughfull reading of previous posts

it's all there, I swear !

(please ? :) )

• Page: