fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir)

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 24 Apr 2020 00:20 #106476

• ktalley
  • ktalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am a FCPX newbie. However, I have successfully created a virtual choir project that used 26 individual recordings. I stacked the clips in the timeline, aligned them to start at the same time (the 26 recordings were individually recorded from various sources), exported the audio to Logic, edited and mixed the audio, exported audio back to FCPX, and adjusted all the clips to fit on the screen at the same time. I really don't know what I'm doing, but the project worked out pretty well in spite of that. The only thing is, it is a bit basic. (
)

I am going to be working on a few more of these for my university since none of the ensembles are able to perform together due to the shift to online only teaching because of COVID-19. I'm looking for the best way of saving me time cropping the clips and trying to get them spaced evenly (my next project will include 60 clips). I've been researching several video wall templates from FX Factory and Motion VFX. However, I'm wondering if I'm going to need the clips already trimmed and aligned in order for that to work.

I can't seem to find a way to export the trimmed clips individually from the timeline so that I can add them back to the video wall template so that they will stay in sync. The templates seem to be designed to just play several clips at the same time but not necessarily synced. I'd like to do some animation and feature certain sections and soloists throughout the "performance" by zooming or flying in certain clips. I'm willing to learn to do it the right way, but I'm also not wanting to spend another 100 hours of trial and error if I can avoid it.

Has anyone here worked on one of these virtual ensemble projects and have any time saving tips? Thanks!

kt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 24 Apr 2020 04:15 #106484

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 474
First, I'd learn to do the audio mixing inside FCPX.

Second, once your videos are all lined up like that, place that whole thing into a Compound Clip. Then you can pan, zoom, etc super easily.

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 24 Apr 2020 13:54 #106499

• ktalley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I was wondering what compound clips allowed me to do. I'll give that a shot.

For this project, I really need Logic because these are students (not pros) recording in their bedrooms with the worst microphones (smartphones). I have to use iZotope RX tools to do a lot of audio repair as well as needing to do pitch and time correction, EQ, and reverb. In the first recording, I probably used at least 20 plugins. If I can use those plug-ins in FCPX, it certainly would be easier to keep it in the same program.

Thanks!

kt

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 25 Apr 2020 13:06 #106546

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 474
You can do all of that in FCPX, it supports those audio plugins. You can find them in the Effects browser, towards the bottom. As for pitch and retiming, you can adjust the playback speed in FCPX. In fact, you need to readjust the speed to match the video anyway, right? And you can apply Pitch Shift in FCPX. Now, if you need the more sophisticated Flex tools in LPX, then you really do need to go out to LPX. Suggestion for next time (I just did a few similar projects with musician friends), have them all wear headphones and use a metronome (click track) so they're all in time. And give them a piece of music to sing along with, they'll all be in tune. If possible. Saved me a lot of post-production time.

Attachments:

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 26 Apr 2020 15:27 #106588

• ktalley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome! I'm really comfortable with Logic and round-tripped to it out of familiarity. I might not have to rely on it as much on future projects since it looks like most of what I used before can be used in FCPX. I'll give those a shot.

I did use flex tools in my first project. Maybe I can avoid it next time. The first project had a piano track that the singers sang along with, but the men and women's voices had to be recorded separately because it was 6 parts. Naturally there was a little bit of difference between the two tracks. Classical singers aren't always known for their rhythmic precision even with a piano part, which is where I used flex (-;

Thanks for your help!

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 13 May 2020 21:46 #107151

• ringslinger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry to jump in but I thought it would be best to ask here rather than create a new post.

I just did one of these for my kids middle school as a volunteer and I had no problem with the audio but I had a hell of time getting all the videos arranged on the screen. In the end I went with a mosaic arrangement, but I could never quite figure out how to make all the squares (or rectangles) the exact same size and then align and size (or scale) the video inside them. All the kids shot all over the place (vertical, horizontal) , some were centered in the frame, some were to the side. It was all over the place.

If someone could point me to some basics, I'm assuming I'd use a mask of some kind, that would be great.

Thank you.

Video Wall with Synced Clips (Virtual Choir) 14 May 2020 15:09 #107168

• FountainPen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, this looks great. I too have been unable to find a video wall that allows for synced clips. Making a synced compound clip first will put all the singers in time for your video above. I've just been presented with 170 individual clips of kids at my school singing the school at home, that I am to turn into 1 video.... so unless some has any better ideas I'll be following your lead. It does what I want and Grandma can see grandson singing :-).
You were showing 9x3 at a time. Nice. At least I'll be able to feature everyone. Would I be right in thinking its not too hard just very very time consuming? Thank you, and everyone else in this forum that I joined today :-)

• Page: