• Page:

TOPIC: Problem applying transforms to multicam clips

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 03 May 2020 19:40 #106820

• lzandman
  • lzandman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm new on this forum. I hope someone can help me.

I've created a multicam clip, containing nine angles synced to a music file. I now want to use it twice in my project, one instance on the left and one of the right. Both instances should have unique dimensions (width trimmed) and different angle cuts. So the basis would be the same multicam clip used twice in the project.

I thought this would be pretty simple and straightforward, but so far I'm struggling. I've place the first instance of the multicam clip on the timeline. Then I selected the multicam clip and, using the Inspector, I entered transform values to trim that clip to half its width and move it to the left. Then I started doing the angle cuts and noticed to my surprise the transforms I applied only apply to the initially selected angle and not the whole multicam-clip. So when the angle change happens, my clip is displaying at its original size again. Googling, I found a Larry Jordan video online that shows you need to edit multicam clips in the angle editor. I find this very weird, because that would mean I have to apply the transforms to all nine angles inside the clip. Also, in this case the edits would be done on the multicam clip itself, so they would apply to both instances that I want to use. And I want them to have separate tranform/trim values.

So what is the best solution? Should I duplicate the multicam clip in the browser and apply my transforms in both angle editors to all angle clips? Or should I wrap both multicam clips separately inside a compound clip and apply the transforms to the compound clip? That last solution works, but it makes it more difficult to set the angle cuts, because I'd have to open the compound clip, to get to the multicam clip inside it. And when it's showing the contents the compound clip, I can no longer see my main timeline with the other compound/multicam clip.

It seems multicam clips are perfect for full-screen edits, but are rather clumsy when you want to do transforms, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 04 May 2020 13:59 #106846

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Yeah, that's an unusual edit you're doing. I'd have said do the edits, when that's finished, Compound it after, and then to you crop/scale/position tweaks.

But, you need to edit the two MCs side by side, which can be done.

In the angle editor, take your first clip, crop it, size it, position it, get it looking the way it needs to look takign up half the screen. Copy it. Then select all the clips in the angle editor at one time, Paste Attributes (Shift-Cmd-V). Done.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 04 May 2020 18:27 #106859

• lzandman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The reason I'm doing this, is that my source video is shot both in portrait and landscape. It's footage of a band recording a song and it's synced to a music track. All contained within the same multicam clip. I want to show both the portrait and the landscape video at the same time on-screen. So I figured I create two instances of the multicam clip (which is landscape) and trim it to portrait for showing the portrait angles.

I've now changed my approach. I've duplicated the multicam clip and deletes angles so that one multicam clip contains all portrait shots and the other one all landscape shots. I'm going to try to edit it this way. The keyboard shortcut for applying the attributes to all clips seems like a nice timesaver. Thanks. I'll report back how it went.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 04 May 2020 19:55 #106866

• lzandman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
So I fought FCP X again... I created separate multicam clips for left and right. Then I added them both to the timeline. When I tried setting the angle cuts, I noticed the Angle Editor will only show for one of the multicam clips. So it's not possible to edit angles when two multicam clips are on the timeline.

I'm seriously disappointed by how difficult this task has been so far. I feel like the application is fighting me. A multicam clip looks like a regular clip on the timeline. Albeit with an extra feature that you can switch angles. So why doesn't it behave like a regular clip?

I guess the only option left is to do the angle cuts on a multicam clip inside a compound clip. And add the compound clips to the timeline.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 05 May 2020 11:11 #106897

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Correct, you can only access the Angles of one multicam clip at a time. Editing two at the same time is not a common task. I don't know an NLE that will do that. And no, mutlicam clips are not regular clips, they are highly specialized, and thus do not act like regular clips.

Just edit your first multicam, then go back and edit the second one, no need to make compounds. I think you need to read through the user manual about how Mutlicams work.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/final-cut-pro/ver10e087fd/mac

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 05 May 2020 11:33 #106904

• lzandman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: Just edit your first multicam, then go back and edit the second one, no need to make compounds. I think you need to read through the user manual about how Mutlicams work.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/final-cut-pro/ver10e087fd/mac

I've read the manual.

You claim I don't need compounds. But I don't know how I would cut and switch the angles of it otherwise. Let me explain: you cannot place angle cut/switch markers when inside the Angle Editor. That has to be done one level up, i.e. on the multicam clip itself. And only when it's on a timeline (so not in the clip Browser). So I have to add the multicam clip to the timeline. I do that and also add my second multicam clip to the timeline. So now my timeline has two multicam clips stacked on top of eachother. One only displays it's contents on the left side of the screen, the other on the right side. So now I want set the Angle cut and switch markers on the multicam clips. I open the Angles view next to the preview window. But this Angles view is only connected to one of the multicam clips. So I cannot switch from one multicam to the other and set/adjust angles. I also cannot do this by opening one of the multicam clips, because that takes me to the Angle Editor.

The only way I found to do this, is by encapsulating each multicam clip inside a compound clip. That way I can, from the main timeline, open the compound and from that one-level-down view set multicam angles on that particular multicam clip.

Anyway, using some of the workarounds I mentioned in my posts I managed to create my video clip. I genuinly surprised that I seem to be the only one having problems with this. You say it's an unusual edit. I see edits like this a lot. Every music video has multiple picture-in-picture videos running alongside some music. I guess using multicam for this isn't the way to go. Maybe I should've somehow gotten all clips on a common timecode and edit it using "normal" clips.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 28 May 2020 05:01 #107509

• Mechanica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have no solution, but wanted to at least chime in in solidarity. I'm having this same issue, and coming primarily from an audio editing background, I'm baffled at how often I feel like I'm fighting FCPX over usability issues like this. I mean, "It's an unusual workflow", okay fine. But allowing for this workflow would not inherently impede any other more common workflow, and I would argue it would enhance every workflow. In fact it would probably encourage more creative video editing. Anyway, I'm just ranting. I wish Final Cut could borrow the Logic Pro design team for a little while though...

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 29 May 2020 05:40 #107530

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Oh gods please no. The devil you know might be fine with you, but it’s hell for every one else.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 29 May 2020 15:13 #107535

• Denmark
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe not that difficult. First you don't have to use the angle editor. Shift cmd left and right switches the multicam video angle. After making the multicam clip then resize and copy the attributes. Switch angle and paste effects/attributes so that all angles get the resize. Now duplicate the multicam clip and reposition/resize the angles again. Look at attachment...
You can only switch the top most layer unless you press the V key to deselect clip/angles in the layers above the one you want to switch. Another solution is to simply move the storyline/multicam you want to work with to the top layer.
I don't think this is more cumbersome than the other NLE's i have tried, Possibly even faster!

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 29 May 2020 20:56 #107553

• Mechanica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hahaha, okay that's fair.

Problem applying transforms to multicam clips 30 May 2020 12:46 #107567

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

lzandman wrote: ....I see edits like this a lot. Every music video has multiple picture-in-picture videos running alongside some music. I guess using multicam for this isn't the way to go...

The term is split-screen or multi-screen. This is commonly done with multicam clips and is straightforward. Ripple Training did a tutorial on this:

"MacBreak Studio #285 - Multi-screen multicam in Final Cut Pro X":

• Page: