• Page:

TOPIC: More Export Options?

More Export Options? 16 May 2020 01:33 #107201

• ghoti
  • ghoti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm using FCPX v10.4.7 on a Macbook Pro.

I have a question regarding exporting files. I've been using FCPX for about a year and a half now and have gotten fairly familiar with the basics. But something has always bothered me a little. It seems to me (and I very well could be wrong here) that there aren't a lot of options when exporting/rending files. In other video editing softwares that I've used (Premier and DaVinci Resolve), if I remember correctly, there are several fine tuning options that allow you to get the file size of your video very close to specific, desired size.

Every week, my team uploads the videos I create (usually 1920x1080 about 50 minutes long) to a web site that has an upload limit of 3 gigs. Sometimes when a fellow employee finalizes the edits (who uses Premier). When he does, he's able to tweak the frame rate, bit rate, overall quality, choose different codecs (other than Apple brand things) etc. until he gets it to just under 3 gigs before he renders. In FCPX, I can change the resolution (which I'd rather not do), but I'm very limited in other ways. For example, I might have a 45 minute video shot in 1080, 30fps. If I select "Video & Audio" during export, it might be 170g. If I select "Computer" during export, it might be 8g, and if I select "Web Hosting", it might be 900mb (I'm currently using the H.264 codec).

I'd like to be able to fine tune the quality of my rendering so that when I go to export it, it will be somewhere in the ballpark of a specified size. Does this make sense? Am I missing something? Is there some sort of plug-in that will help with this? I'd love any advice in this area. I'm getting tired of having to transfer it to a different program to compress it.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Export Options? 16 May 2020 04:48 #107205

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
It appears that you have already identified the limited options in FCPX for exporting. If you have the Compressor app, this will allow the fine tuning of parameters you are asking for. You can either send your project timeline directly to Compressor, or create a full resolution Master Video and then import that to Compressor. If you have no need to retain a full Master of the video, then simply using the "send to compressor" option will save space in addition to offering the ability to tweak parameters. FCPX is primarily an NLE which offers export options of full masters and a variety of deliverable formats, but it is not a compression application. I should add that in your project settings of FCPX, you can modify the render codec in a limited fashion by choosing various versions of ProRes, (422, 422 HQ, 422 LT, etc.) but you'll have no further control over the bit rate of the codec.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Last edit: by dgwvideo.

More Export Options? 16 May 2020 11:30 #107211

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 716
Just to add to dgw’s reply, if you have Compressor you can also make custom settings with specific data rate and use the Compressor settings in FCP for export.

• Page: