fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 16 May 2020 21:56 #107234

• tstiefler
  • tstiefler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys,

My fcpx has been running smooth on this project when using proxies until today. I looked on the forum and tried a couple things with no success:

1) turned off background render.
2) made sure theres room on my external drive. There are 700 GB's available. It's a 2 TB Lacie.
3) Deleted all render files
4) Restarted my computer
5) Shutdown my computer and gave it a break for an hour.

My computer is an imac 21.5" 2019 with 3.2 GHz intel core i7, 15 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 560x 4 GB graphics, and version 10.14.6.

The video file is nothing crazy. A 2 min video. The clips are black magic raw, but when I switched to proxy everything has been fine.

Not sure what else there is I can do or why this is happening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 16 May 2020 23:48 #107237

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
It's not the external drive you should worry about, it's the system drive you need at least 15-20% of its capacity left as free space. This effects how applications and macOS functions. What does your system drive look like?

I didn't know you could use BMCC RAW in FCPX.

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 17 May 2020 11:55 #107254

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

FCPX.guru wrote: ..I didn't know you could use BMCC RAW in FCPX.

Exactly. You cannot. Maybe he means he used DaVinci Resolve to convert the clips to a different format, then generated proxies? Or he relinked to those external proxies? Either way we must have accurate details about the codec actually being used, also the version of FCPX and MacOS.

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 17 May 2020 16:14 #107259

• tstiefler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
You guys are the best. Just helping people like this. So thank you.

My drive has 265 GB free of 1 TB

The braw was converted in da Vinci. I don't remember if I did proves or H264. Does it matter?

One thing that may be contributing although I don't know why, is a transitions plugin I bout from Pixel Studios. The project does slow down when I add those. Even if it's just one or 2.

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 17 May 2020 16:46 #107260

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

tstiefler wrote: ...The braw was converted in da Vinci. I don't remember if I did proves or H264. Does it matter?...when I switched to proxy everything has been fine...
One thing that may be contributing although I don't know why, is a transitions plugin I bout from Pixel Studios. The project does slow down when I add those. Even if it's just one or 2.

You mean it works OK using proxies but not when using original media mode (which is presumably transcoded H264 from the BRAW files).?

As a standard troubleshooting procedure, be certain you are not using the Chrome browser or any other browser based on Chrome. This can saturate the MacOS VideoToolBox framework and cause intermittent, unpredictable FCPX behavior.

Re your plugins from Pixel Film Studios, any 3rd-party plugin can potentially cause a problem, esp. if not well written. Some companies produce better quality, more reliable plugins than others. You might want to consider plugins from www.motionfx.com , which are very high quality.

All current FCPX plugins except for Motion templates run within the process address space of FCPX. This means any bug in any plugin can crash or destabilize FCPX. Supposedly this will be improved in the future as plugin vendors move their products to FxPlug 4 which can enable out-of-process plugins, thereby preventing a plugin bug from crashing FCPX: developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

Try removing the Pixel Film Studio transitions and see if that makes any difference. If not, as a troubleshooting step, make a snapshot duplicate of your timeline, then open that and remove all effects via Edit>Remove Effects. If that works, put them all back and remove the effects from 1/2, then 1/4, then 1/8 of the timeline until you narrow down what clip and what plugin is causing the problem.

Spinning ball of death, force quitting, and general slowness 17 May 2020 17:58 #107265

• tstiefler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok cool. I'll give all that a go. Thanks

• Page: