fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing?

Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing? 17 May 2020 20:41 #107269

• Jonathan Levin
  • Jonathan Levin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi all.

I hope this finds you safe, healthy, and not too bored.

I have a have a Pro Res 422 master file 1920x1080 (1280x 720) that I am trying to prep for using with my Plex Media Server. Google if you need more info on that so i don't waste your time explaining in case you already know about that. My video is around 80 minutes.

I have tried a few different conversions using Compressor. Apple Devices HD, Apple Devices HD Most Compatible both 1080. Both play fine on my end, but when I play through Plex app via internet, playback is choppy at best. If i wait several minutes, the video "Buffers" (probably wrong term) and it will play for several more seconds before choking again. I also tried using the Facebook setting which I believe is a 720 format. That seems to be slightly better.

My internet speed using Speedtest is ~45mbps download and 10mbps upload.

If I can offer any other info, please let me know. Maybe some of you have had better luck than me

Thanks and stay well.

Jonathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonathan Levin.

Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing? 18 May 2020 13:28 #107285

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 474
Plex says they support H.264 and nothing else. So, lower the bit rate, maybe. But most of that will depend on how well their server can stream, and you Internet connection. Have you tried playing it from a different physical location?

Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing? 18 May 2020 19:41 #107292

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The file is h.264 File size originally 83 GB (Master) Online size 6 Gb. File plays fine on my desktop. MBp thunderbolt 3 to Tech HDD. That set up is my "server" so no internet involved.

Maybe I'll check in with the Plex people to see if they have any ideas. I have a feeling it's the speed or lack of with my internet???? I don't want to host this on YouTube.

Thanks for that.

JL

Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing? 19 May 2020 01:33 #107305

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
I would definitely check your internet upload speed. 10Mbps is fairly low, and testing on something like Speedtest.net with the appropriate server may reveal even lower speeds. We do live streaming for clients often and find 15Mbps uploads are generally satisfactory, but 20 to 25 Mbps is much more reliable. Plex also indicates your problem could be that the CPU in your computer may not be sufficient to stream your content (this according to their online support FAQ's). Maybe try a smaller file bitrate for the h.264 file, or a 720p file to test with to see if there is improvement.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Advice for prepping Masterfile file for Plex TV viewing? 19 May 2020 16:40 #107325

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks dgwvideo and FCPX.guru.

DGW: That 10mbps is the UPLOAD speed. 45 for download. Yes, file is 720p h.264.

I have no doubt that it probably is something on my end. I'm on a MBp 2018 2.8 6 core. GTech drives 7200rpm connect via thunderbolt 3. That works just fine of course, when I play the transcoded version. Even plays great with my Masterfile. It's over internet that's the issue.

I thought maybe there is some special setting with in Compressor that could make this work. I know the above set-up probably is not ideal for being a true video server, but worth a shot.

Last edit: by Jonathan Levin.
  • Page: