• Page:

TOPIC: Green Glitchy Errors in FPCx 10.4.8

Green Glitchy Errors in FPCx 10.4.8 20 May 2020 03:32 #107329

• Boltman
  • Boltman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I can't remember when exactly, but I upgraded to FCPx 10.4.8 (about 2yrs ago) and it began causing random green glitches to my videos. It's random but happens almost 85% of the time in preview and after exporting. It's also happening in Motion5.
I'm running MacOS, 10.14.6, High-Sierra. RAM is running low. I just bought some RAM but it's asking to upgrad to Catalina and I'm not sure if I should. IF more RAM solves it then I'll just do that.
How can I get rid of this dam green glitch dots?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Green Glitchy Errors in FPCx 10.4.8 20 May 2020 11:50 #107333

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Could you give details of the computer and the specs of the media you’re using?

Green Glitchy Errors in FPCx 10.4.8 20 May 2020 16:01 #107340

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

Boltman wrote: ...I'm running MacOS, 10.14.6, High-Sierra. RAM is running low. I just bought some RAM but it's asking to upgrad to Catalina and I'm not sure if I should. IF more RAM solves it then I'll just do that...

If you don't want to upgrade to Catalina, you can upgrade to Mojave: support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

Catalina drops all 32-bit support which for some people is an issue. You can examine if you have any 32-bit apps by doing Apple Menu>About This Mac>System Report>Software>Applications, then sort on the right column 64-bit and look for any apps which are 32-bit. Those will not run on Catalina. Note this column only appears on Mojave and earlier, not on Catalina.

Greenish image pixelation is sometimes seen if the the codec is not working right. Typical causes are poor bitrate (for streaming) or a malformed video file or platform does not fully support that codec. You see it more on oddball devices like security cameras, web cameras, etc. You can also see it if the device is newer and the computer or software versions are quite old.

Excepting old Mac Pros, any Apple computer since about 2011 has an Intel "Sandy Bridge" or newer CPU which supports Quick Sync hardware-accelerated decoding of H264. Newer Macs have newer Intel CPUs with more advanced versions of Quick Sync but even the 2011 model should have this.

If your computer is short on memory or nearly out of disk space, that could also cause it.

As Tom said we need the media info of your original camera file. You can play a file in Quicktime Player and do CMD+I to get this info. It is also visible in the FCPX inspector but Quicktime puts it all in one convenient window, including bit depth if HEVC.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: