fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Colors look extremely saturated after export.

Colors look extremely saturated after export. 24 May 2020 17:01 #107434

• ci1990
  • ci1990's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear FCP Forum Team,

I've shot a short clip on Sony A7III with Atomos Ninja V. (4K 25fps, Slog2 and ProRes422).

I've used the Ninja V clips and edited my video. After I export it I get overly saturated colors. What might be the reason? I've turned on "Legalize" option while shooting with the Ninja V. May that be the reason for this weird issue?

Attached you can see screenshots before and after export.

Would be glad if someone can help me. Thanks a lot beforehand.

Best regards,

Can
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colors look extremely saturated after export. 25 May 2020 08:10 #107439

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Turn on your video scopes, that will tell you if it's oversaturated or not for sure. Vector scope and Luma scope.

Colors look extremely saturated after export. 25 May 2020 18:32 #107455

• Buhardilla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
As FCPGuru wrote videoscope are the main tools for grading. But, where do you check your videoclips? external monitor? computer display?
I'm currently only using my iMac 27" 5K Retina display calibrated with Datacolor SpyderX . I know that best choice would be an external broadcast auto calibrated monitor but I feel that I can get decent results with an iMac panel
About your clips, What LUT were applied to Slog2 files and when were applied? at moment Ninja recording? in FCPX inspector window clip before to edition? last at grading after balance and levels correction ?

Last edit: by Buhardilla.

Colors look extremely saturated after export. 26 May 2020 00:19 #107457

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Generally, if the FCPX viewer looks correct and the exported file is oversaturated, this tends to be a gamma issue. As mentioned above, knowing what you are viewing the exported file on is helpful in analyzing the problem. This can happen easily in Divinci Resolve also, but there are more options in Resolve to match output gamma curves of the playback display to the viewer. In your case, using FCPX, I would check the color profiles of the display you are playing back the exported file on. If it is the same Mac screen as FCPX is running on, check your display preferences in the OS preferences. You can remove, modify or repair any color profile that may be set for that display. As another form of test, share a still frame from FCPX and likely that will look oversaturated as well. If so, the color profile is probably damaged or incorrect.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Colors look extremely saturated after export. 26 May 2020 04:19 #107461

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Knowing what you are viewing the output on is critical. If you are viewing it on the same Mac screen you used for editing and it looks over saturated then it is probably a profile issue as stated above. If you are viewing on another device that is not calibrated then all bets are off.

For example, I recently finished a video and watched it via AirPlay to my Samsung TV. The colors were way over saturated. Like you, I wondered what the heck? I then watched it on a Panasonic TV and the colors were more like the colors on my MBP, and when viewed on the MBP the colors were spot on.

• Page: