fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Timeline and export same as Imported Clip?

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 00:26 #107560

• Speziak
  • Speziak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I was sent a screen cap recording that looks great. Settings of that clip are - - H264 - MPEG4 - AVC. 1920x1088, Frame Rate 69.382496, Date Rate, 1.56 Mbit/s. The video looks and plays great, I just want to trim it and export it. I create my new timeline and drag the clip in. Immediately it's rendering, I guess it's bringing it up to ProRes422? I don't know. I trim the video and go to export through compressor and I just can not seem to get close to the same file size. I'm trying to figure out what I"m doing wrong. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 05:05 #107561

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
The reason it is rendering is because you have "Background Render" turned on in the FCPX preferences (up in the menu bar). Turn that OFF.
In Compressor, choose a preset for MP4 h.264 and customize the bit rate in the video panel. You should be able to set any custom size desired. You can share (export) an MP4 file in FCPX directly using the computer share setting but you can't customize the bit rate (especially if you want it that small).
Finally, nothing in FCPX automatically brings a file up to ProRes 422 unless you choose to optimize the file on import (which is selectable in the import window), in which case it would create a ProRes 422 file.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Last edit: by dgwvideo.

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 07:14 #107564

• Stu Wart
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
with such a frame rate ... of course it's rendering !

anyway, if you want to trim a video file and export "same as" do it in QuickTime

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 12:37 #107566

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

Speziak wrote: Hi, I was sent a screen cap recording that looks great. Settings of that clip are - - H264 - MPEG4 - AVC. 1920x1088, Frame Rate 69.382496, Date Rate, 1.56 Mbit/s. The video looks and plays great, I just want to trim it and export it....I trim the video and go to export through compressor and I just can not seem to get close to the same file size....

For simple trimming, you don't need FCPX or Compressor. Just use Quicktime Player. It is super-fast and does not re-encode so there is no generational quality loss: support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player...lip-qtpf2115f6fd/mac

If that doesn't work THEN you can use Compressor. It should be possible to achieve the same file size if you restrict the bit rate and frame size. 69 fps is a non-standard frame rate so you might also need to encode it at 29.97 or 59.94 but that could cause motion artifacts. You could then use optical flow rate conforming but that can also introduce artifacts of a different type.

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 15:55 #107571

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242

Stu Wart wrote: with such a frame rate ... of course it's rendering !

A frame rate (even an odd frame rate) will not cause FCPX to render. This only happens if the background render setting is invoked via preferences, in which case FCPX will render the entire timeline whenever activity is paused.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 16:17 #107572

• Speziak
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you! It all makes sense and I know I can set bitrate in Compressor but I don’t think I can set frame rate?
Thanks again!!

Speziak

Timeline and export same as Imported Clip? 30 May 2020 16:19 #107573

• Speziak
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. I do use QT for this, wanted to know what my options were when I make some minor adjustments as well.

Thank you!

Speziak

• Page: