• Page:

TOPIC: Handbrake compression after final cut edit

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 06 Jun 2020 02:49 #107706

• cyanbaby101
  • cyanbaby101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Any handbrake masters in here? I finished an edit in Final Cut and want to use Handbrake to compress further.

Question: On the Dimensions tab how do I set it up to simply take settings from input file without any change?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 06 Jun 2020 03:13 #107708

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 496
You should not have to do anything, it automatically sets to the source frame size.

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 06 Jun 2020 05:48 #107711

• cyanbaby101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: You should not have to do anything, it automatically sets to the source frame size.

It Doesnt seem to do that. My video is 640x480. When I go to dimensions tab it has it at 636x480

Attachments:

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 06 Jun 2020 15:33 #107719

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

cyanbaby101 wrote: Any handbrake masters in here? I finished an edit in Final Cut and want to use Handbrake to compress further...

What is your goal? The default FCPX H264 for Master File>Computer>H264 is good quality, although bit rate is somewhat high at 20 mbps for 1080p. The FCPX "web hosting" export is a bit lower (about 14 mbps) but still good quality. The "Apple Devices" 720p pre-set is about 1/2 that and also good quality, but that's still about 6.9 mbps.

Compressor will let you pick whatever bit rate you want and is integrated with FCPX. However if you want 10-bit HEVC export, neither it or FCPX currently have hardware acceleration for HEVC encode so are very slow.

If you want the smallest possible files and need 10-bits per color channel, the best way is export ProRes 422 from FCPX then transcode that using Handbrake or DaVinci Resolve to 10-bit HEVC. If you don't need 10-bit, then both FCPX and Compressor have hardware acceleration for 8-bit HEVC export, so are very fast.

Last edit: by joema.

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 07 Jun 2020 04:26 #107724

• cyanbaby101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am trying to get handbrake to take my input dimension of 640x480. It's trying to output 636x480 (see above image attached). How do I fix that?

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 07 Jun 2020 08:05 #107726

• Stu Wart
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Handbrake is a consumer tool. Go with something more pro

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 07 Jun 2020 10:53 #107727

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

cyanbaby101 wrote: I am trying to get handbrake to take my input dimension of 640x480. It's trying to output 636x480 (see above image attached). How do I fix that?

My guess is the original file has metadata stating "pixel aspect ratio" is not 1:1, which is common for DVD material. Handbrake seems set for 1:1, so the only way to achieve that is change the resolution. It might be possible to change the Handbrake config to uses the non-square pixel aspect ratio of the source material, thus maintain the original X/Y resolution. This obviously has nothing to do with FCPX or Compressor.

You can examine those metadata items with the 3rd party utility Invisor, also compare multiple files side-by-side in a spreadsheet-like format: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

Last edit: by joema.

Handbrake compression after final cut edit 13 Jun 2020 09:44 #107855

• Rinaldo Doon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Just got across this. cyanbaby101, if you look at the righthand side of your image that you posted, you will see that the custom left margin has '4' in it. This is being subtracted from your potential 640 width of the picture. Select Custom and just make that '0' like the other margins, and the Storage Size should change to 640x480.

I have always wondered why these options are there, and some presets in Handbrake seem to set these to what looks like arbitrary settings to me. I always make sure these are all set to 0.

Hope this helps.

• Page: