fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips?

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 16 Jun 2020 01:32 #107917

I thought I'd write over here as I hope that some of you guys will have experience with Color Finale 2.0

I bought the plugin the day it was released (long time CF 1.0 user) and quite frankly, I've been underwhelmed. Many problems, especially when using the Pro version with masking.

I was patiently waiting for the updates (so I had to stop using the feature I actually paid more money for: masks), and now am running 2.1.144 on Catalina and FCPX 10.4.8.

After starting using it on some of my projects FCPX started becoming laggy, crashing and render times take a very long time without having any other plugins on the project (no tracking or heavy animated titles etc).

I was wondering what could be wrong and really didn't want to point fingers (as I know troubleshooting is needed before doing this) but lately, when I am rendering a project, FCPX just crashes in the middle of the render and it clearly blames Color Finale.

Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Color Finale Plugin

And this is all after trashing the preferences PRam resets, SMC resets etc etc.

Do you guys have any experiences to share? Any workarounds? There's definitely something wrong with CF2.0 from the set go, it doesn't play nicely even on a 16'' 2019 MacBook Pro with dedicated GPU.

If you have any optimization tips you could share that would be great. At this point, I am ready to give up using this altogether :(

many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 16 Jun 2020 13:13 #107936

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 395

Domscillator wrote: ...After starting using it on some of my projects FCPX started becoming laggy, crashing and render times take a very long time without having any other plugins on the project...when I am rendering a project, FCPX just crashes in the middle of the render and it clearly blames Color Finale.

Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Color Finale Plugin...

You have already done some useful isolation steps by verifying it happens with no other effects or plugins. The Color Finale developer needs to fix this. A first step would be looking at the complete crash log. If instead of crashing it sometimes causes an FCPX hang, the procedure is using Activity Monitor to take a spin dump. Many developers have special debugging features built into their product which they can advise you on.

You can first do a few more troubleshooting procedures: Make sure you're not running the Chrome browser or any browser based on Chrome. Verify you aren't using HEVC material, else transcode it to proxy. Make sure background render is off, delete all render files and only render manually by selecting timeline clips and doing CTRL+R.

It is absolutely imperative that plugin developers use a robust testing strategy, since their code is running *inside* the FCPX address space. Any bug in their code can hang, crash, or cause a memory leak within FCPX.

In the future this will hopefully be fixed as plugin vendors move their products to FxPlug 4 which can enable out-of-process plugins, thereby preventing a plugin bug from "deranging" FCPX. developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

This is one reason why I use as few plugins as possible. The concept of things like Color Finale 2 is good -- but only if the performance, reliability and support turnaround is top notch.

A bug in a narrow, specialized plugin like Imagenomic Portraiture for skin processing isn't that bad. You can remove it or switch to another product. But color correction is widely used and saturates your timeline. After making a commitment to a color grading plugin, if a serious bug is later found you are effectively shut down util you rework the entire timeline.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 24 Jun 2020 03:44 #108143

I just wanted to add that I'm getting this issue as well whenever I attempt to use Color FInale 2 with FCPX 10.4.8 on a iMac Pro. It hangs and I must force quit in order to continue working. I basically have to delete the plugin from any clip it's applied to in order to use FCPX. The developer told me this only happened on Mojave but when I upgraded to Catalina the problem continues.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 24 Jun 2020 13:23 #108156

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

truelife2 wrote: .. The developer told me this only happened on Mojave but when I upgraded to Catalina the problem continues.

Developers have the ability to debug this. They can examine crash logs, or send you a custom instrumented version of the product with additional debug code. They must take responsibility for their own code and aggressively pursue it.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 25 Jun 2020 00:20 #108163

• PO
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I was getting a lot of crashes with CF 2 and some very strange thing happening randomly with masking. I do like the app but haven't the time to work out the bugs so switched grading to resolve. many less mouse clicks and very few crashes. Would still like to use CF for jobs but not a good idea for tight turn around work right now for me.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 29 Jun 2020 22:10 #108339

PO wrote: I was getting a lot of crashes with CF 2 and some very strange thing happening randomly with masking. I do like the app but haven't the time to work out the bugs so switched grading to resolve. many less mouse clicks and very few crashes. Would still like to use CF for jobs but not a good idea for tight turn around work right now for me.

Same here: lots of crashes with masking. I do like the plugin too but there's too much risk involved if you're tight with deadlines. And if you spend the money that this plugin costs, there are high chances you're a professional and don't have time to deal with crashes and various quirks. Unfortunately, for now, CF2 is not transparent enough neither when it comes to workflow nor stability. I hope this changes soon but I am also switching to DaVinci for now.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 02 Aug 2020 07:07 #109073

I'm a bit late going the conversation but just wanted to weigh-in quickly. I've been tearing my hair out for a month with FCPX crashing... Tried everything and finally got ride of CF2 and all is well. Very strange. I've not heard back yet from support but hopefully this is something that can be fixed.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 02 Aug 2020 11:24 #109077

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

substance3 wrote: ...I've not heard back yet from support but hopefully this is something that can be fixed.

It is the responsibility of the plugin developer to promptly debug and fix problems like this. Apple has provided lots of info and tools about how to do this: developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/414/

Ultimately when plugin developers move their code to the FxPlug 4 framework, it will optionally enable running that in a separate "sandboxed" address space, and should not crash the host app (FCPX in this case). However the plugin code will still crash which will be disruptive. IOW the plugin functionality will probably freeze or malfunction but FCPX will stay up and you can do an orderly re-launch without risking data loss: developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

So FxPlug 4 will help contain the problem but there's no substitute for developers debugging and supporting their code. Ideally customers could provide a small, reproducible scenario, but if not possible there are plenty of ways for a developer to debug and fix things like this.

When plugin developers do not expeditiously investigate and fix their problems it taints the entire plugin ecosystem with a reputation for poor reliability and poor support. This makes customers less likely to purchase plugins -- from any vendor.

Last edit: by joema.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 03 Aug 2020 16:46 #109099

I will add that the developer did send me a beta of an upcoming release and that seems to have temporarily solved my crashes. It was constant prior to that, now FCPX still crashes, but due to graphics card issues and Catalina confusion.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 02 Dec 2020 08:55 #111164

I've just installed (2nd December 2020) a trial version of Color Finale 2 on my 2018 MacBookPro running Big Sur Version 11.0.1 running FcpX version 10.5 and I can definitely confirm FcpX freezes, fan speed runs at maximum and battery drains super quickly. After installing & reinstalling twice I've given and removed the plugin and can confirm that after removing the plugin everything is running fine. It is a great pity as I really like the design concept behind the plugin. Hope the developers fix it soon. But then it begs the question, will this always surface as a problem when the Mac OS or the FcpX app is upgraded in future?

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 02 Dec 2020 12:15 #111167

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Chairman Rao wrote: ...it begs the question, will this always surface as a problem when the Mac OS or the FcpX app is upgraded in future?

This is a generic problem with software engineering which goes back over 30 years. There is a desire to create extensions or plugins to the main app which are written by users or 3rd parties. It is easier to use an extension framework which runs within the address space of the app.

Within the same process, all threads share the same address space and can quickly access data structures and synchronization objects. However -- any bug in that 3rd-party code can destabilize or crash the app. In a multi-threaded environment there are many possible timing windows, race conditions and critical sections which must be protected as thread safe. These can easily produce unpredictable bugs that are difficult to resolve.

Yet that 3rd-party code is not (and cannot be) tested with the same rigor as the app. Apple and other large developers have huge test resources, e.g, 100 machines running automated test suites based on captured workloads. A large development team may have 2-3 test engineers for each development engineer. This might be over 100 test engineers for a major software product. They are expert at analyzing crashes.

The 3rd-party plugin developer has meager resources and cannot test and debug at this level, yet their code runs within the delicate multi-threaded address space of the app. That intricate delicacy also explains why a mere app or OS upgrade can cause the plugin to crash the app. It is *part* of the app, like a 3rd-party gear buried deep inside a high-performance car engine.

One solution is to run 3rd-party plugins and extensions in a separate host process outside the app. That is supported by Apple's FxPlug 4 framework, and I think all Apple Silicon plugins (or universal plugins) for FCP will be required to use FxPlug 4. However even this does not guarantee freedom from disruption. If the plugin crashes in isolation, the app (FCP in this case) may stay up but that functionality will be lost. IOW your color corrections may freeze, or might be lost. But if the FCP SQL database properly records those changes, in theory you could re-launch the plugin and FCP would stay up.

Internet browsers initially ran all tabs within the same process, and a crash in a single tab would take down the entire browser. Over time they moved to a process-per-tab design which was much more reliable. Hopefully that will be possible for FCP plugins going forward as 3rd-party developers move to FxPlug 4.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 02 Dec 2020 14:22 #111170

Chairman Rao wrote: I've just installed (2nd December 2020) a trial version of Color Finale 2 on my 2018 MacBookPro running Big Sur Version 11.0.1 running FcpX version 10.5 and I can definitely confirm FcpX freezes, fan speed runs at maximum and battery drains super quickly. After installing & reinstalling twice I've given and removed the plugin and can confirm that after removing the plugin everything is running fine. It is a great pity as I really like the design concept behind the plugin. Hope the developers fix it soon. But then it begs the question, will this always surface as a problem when the Mac OS or the FcpX app is upgraded in future?

This is both disappointing and reaffirming to hear. Since "upgrading" to CF Pro I've crashed more than ever on a 2017 iMac Pro running Mojave and then Catalina. Upgrading to the latest CF Pro caused me to be unable to do anything running FCPX 10.4.10 so I updated to 10.5 and then was told I would have to upgrade to Big Sur to make CF Pro run properly. I was attempting to use CF Pro to grade a few shots that had noise reduction applied and this made FCPX very unhappy- constant crashes and unable to export.

The usefulness of this plugin is heavily reduced by the impact it has on FCPX. I really like what it offers, but not at the cost of how it affects my system. I'm going to move to FilmConvert Nitrate.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 03 Dec 2020 03:36 #111203

Strange I have Big Sur, FCP 10.5, and ColorFinale 2.2.15 and all works just perfectly on a MacBook Pro 2016. Maybe the trial version is not the the current version 2.2.15? Have you contacted ColorFinale?

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt. Reason: spelling
  • Page: