fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips?

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 16 Jun 2020 01:32 #107917

• Domscillator
  • Domscillator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I thought I'd write over here as I hope that some of you guys will have experience with Color Finale 2.0

I bought the plugin the day it was released (long time CF 1.0 user) and quite frankly, I've been underwhelmed. Many problems, especially when using the Pro version with masking.

I was patiently waiting for the updates (so I had to stop using the feature I actually paid more money for: masks), and now am running 2.1.144 on Catalina and FCPX 10.4.8.

After starting using it on some of my projects FCPX started becoming laggy, crashing and render times take a very long time without having any other plugins on the project (no tracking or heavy animated titles etc).

I was wondering what could be wrong and really didn't want to point fingers (as I know troubleshooting is needed before doing this) but lately, when I am rendering a project, FCPX just crashes in the middle of the render and it clearly blames Color Finale.

Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Color Finale Plugin

And this is all after trashing the preferences PRam resets, SMC resets etc etc.

Do you guys have any experiences to share? Any workarounds? There's definitely something wrong with CF2.0 from the set go, it doesn't play nicely even on a 16'' 2019 MacBook Pro with dedicated GPU.

If you have any optimization tips you could share that would be great. At this point, I am ready to give up using this altogether :(

many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 16 Jun 2020 13:13 #107936

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

Domscillator wrote: ...After starting using it on some of my projects FCPX started becoming laggy, crashing and render times take a very long time without having any other plugins on the project...when I am rendering a project, FCPX just crashes in the middle of the render and it clearly blames Color Finale.

Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Color Finale Plugin...

You have already done some useful isolation steps by verifying it happens with no other effects or plugins. The Color Finale developer needs to fix this. A first step would be looking at the complete crash log. If instead of crashing it sometimes causes an FCPX hang, the procedure is using Activity Monitor to take a spin dump. Many developers have special debugging features built into their product which they can advise you on.

You can first do a few more troubleshooting procedures: Make sure you're not running the Chrome browser or any browser based on Chrome. Verify you aren't using HEVC material, else transcode it to proxy. Make sure background render is off, delete all render files and only render manually by selecting timeline clips and doing CTRL+R.

It is absolutely imperative that plugin developers use a robust testing strategy, since their code is running *inside* the FCPX address space. Any bug in their code can hang, crash, or cause a memory leak within FCPX.

In the future this will hopefully be fixed as plugin vendors move their products to FxPlug 4 which can enable out-of-process plugins, thereby preventing a plugin bug from "deranging" FCPX. developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

This is one reason why I use as few plugins as possible. The concept of things like Color Finale 2 is good -- but only if the performance, reliability and support turnaround is top notch.

A bug in a narrow, specialized plugin like Imagenomic Portraiture for skin processing isn't that bad. You can remove it or switch to another product. But color correction is widely used and saturates your timeline. After making a commitment to a color grading plugin, if a serious bug is later found you are effectively shut down util you rework the entire timeline.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 24 Jun 2020 03:44 #108143

• truelife2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I just wanted to add that I'm getting this issue as well whenever I attempt to use Color FInale 2 with FCPX 10.4.8 on a iMac Pro. It hangs and I must force quit in order to continue working. I basically have to delete the plugin from any clip it's applied to in order to use FCPX. The developer told me this only happened on Mojave but when I upgraded to Catalina the problem continues.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 24 Jun 2020 13:23 #108156

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

truelife2 wrote: .. The developer told me this only happened on Mojave but when I upgraded to Catalina the problem continues.

Developers have the ability to debug this. They can examine crash logs, or send you a custom instrumented version of the product with additional debug code. They must take responsibility for their own code and aggressively pursue it.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 25 Jun 2020 00:20 #108163

• PO
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I was getting a lot of crashes with CF 2 and some very strange thing happening randomly with masking. I do like the app but haven't the time to work out the bugs so switched grading to resolve. many less mouse clicks and very few crashes. Would still like to use CF for jobs but not a good idea for tight turn around work right now for me.

Color Finale 2 Pro Crashing FCPX -Any tips? 29 Jun 2020 22:10 #108339

• Domscillator
  • Domscillator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

PO wrote: I was getting a lot of crashes with CF 2 and some very strange thing happening randomly with masking. I do like the app but haven't the time to work out the bugs so switched grading to resolve. many less mouse clicks and very few crashes. Would still like to use CF for jobs but not a good idea for tight turn around work right now for me.

Same here: lots of crashes with masking. I do like the plugin too but there's too much risk involved if you're tight with deadlines. And if you spend the money that this plugin costs, there are high chances you're a professional and don't have time to deal with crashes and various quirks. Unfortunately, for now, CF2 is not transparent enough neither when it comes to workflow nor stability. I hope this changes soon but I am also switching to DaVinci for now.

• Page: