• Page:

TOPIC: "Memory Leak" while working with ProRes files

"Memory Leak" while working with ProRes files 16 Jun 2020 01:33 #107918

• Jetemadi
  • Jetemadi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm on Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 and I'm working with ProRes files. Final Cut uses all my available memory until the "Out of Application Memory" window pops up and I have to force quit. I've watched in Activity Monitor and it's using upwards of 60+ GB of memory before I run out and everything freezes.

I'm not sure if "memory leak" is the right term but I haven't ran into this before. I've been trying to recreate the scenario as far as what triggers it but I'm not seeing a pattern. It's happened after import. It's happened during import. It's happened while just previewing clips in the import window before I'm even importing.

The footage and library are both on an external SSD drive connected via USB 3.0

Has anyone ran into this issue before or have any ideas on how to solve it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Memory Leak" while working with ProRes files 16 Jun 2020 04:45 #107923

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Once FCP starts getting into 20+ GB of RAM usage, it's best to quit the application and just restart it. It will perform a bit better after you do this as well.

Last edit: by Redifer.

"Memory Leak" while working with ProRes files 16 Jun 2020 12:47 #107933

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

Jetemadi wrote: I'm on Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 and I'm working with ProRes files. Final Cut uses all my available memory until the "Out of Application Memory" window pops up and I have to force quit... not seeing a pattern. It's happened after import. It's happened during import. It's happened while just previewing clips in the import window before I'm even importing...

Yes that's a memory leak. It should not be happening. It can be caused by FCPX itself (less common) or by any 3rd party effect or plugin (more common).

Unfortunately plugins run within the FCPX address space and any bug in any plugin can hang, crash, or cause a memory leak within FCPX. Evaluate what plugins or 3rd-party effects you are using. Make sure all are updated to the latest versions.

In the future this will hopefully be fixed as plugin vendors move their products to FxPlug 4 which can enable out-of-process plugins, thereby preventing a plugin bug from "deranging" FCPX. In this case the memory leak would possibly still happen but would be isolated to a separate process, making identification and control easier: developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

• Page: