Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 30 Jun 2020 10:00 #108366

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
With all of this CISC and RISC talk, I suddenly feel like I'm back in the mid-90s.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 01 Jul 2020 15:15 #108414

• VidGreg
  • VidGreg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 194
Slowly getting to watch some of the WWDC dev vids ”State of the Platform”, “Explore the new system architecture of Apple Silicon Macs”, “Explore the Action & Vision app”, (Thanks Karsten), and the www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/2285-fcp-c...arm-based-processors segment and several videos on Swift and SwiftUI and some things seem more apparent to me.

In previous post I wrote… "Wonder about RAM, will it be universal shared RAM like in current devices or will Apple create separate RAM for Macs."
Definitely it is "Unified Memory" not separate RAM. This is talked about in several vids including the SOP and System Architecture (First couple of minutes explores this). Several slides and talk including Craig F, Johny S, … all showing why the Unified Memory is faster with no PCIe bus overhead. So I predict for the all new Apple Silicon Macs, no separate vRAM.

No AMD, Intel, or Nvidia GPU’s, just Apple’s GPU design and fabrication. Apple has bought up a couple of companies to acquire IP to GPU chip design and I think we see the results in current iOS devices. Expect to see new GPUs for Macs, but I don’t think Apple will offer ASM with 3rd party GPUs. Apple claims up to 1,000% faster GPU performance for iPad from original iPad. What will the future bring as Apple is able to scale up the cores and voltage for Macs instead of constrains from device size/power/temps?

In the SOP session, Anand talks about ASM being able to Boot any macOS that is signed by Apple allowing your Mac to boot older macOS versions both internally and from external drives. Currently, you cannot run an older macOS than shipped with model, without 3rd party virtualization. Now supported by Big Sur on ASM Macs out of box. Interesting!

In Live13, I liked a lot of what Jace S has to say and agree with him about uniform code and advantages for programmers especially cross device platforms. Not said is how this may help in discovering and eliminating bugs faster.

More design UI uniformity between device platforms will help all users.

Metal, CoreML, Neural Engine, now more important than ever. OpenGL/CL no longer competitive and Metal is the way to go. New Driver kit and massive move to eliminate all 3rd party Kernel Extensions. I give kexts about 2 more years max. Time to rewrite drivers/extensions.

I’m liking that people are saying that so far, Big Sur (do we now use initials of BS??) is very stable especially for a beta 1 version. Hope this bodes well for reliability going forward over the last couple of OS’s.

Lots more to digest
Happy Editing, Greg
p.s. I got a kick out of the vid Karsten linked to because of the demo of the Corn Hole game, renamed bean bag toss(polite company name) I have played this for at least a decade so fun to see in Apple vid. Very interesting app and now I can get some technical analysis for my throwing techniques. Don't tell my family I am cheating via computer technology.:P

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 01 Jul 2020 18:17 #108417

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

In the SOP session, Anand talks about ASM being able to Boot any macOS that is signed by Apple allowing your Mac to boot older macOS versions both internally and from external drives.

This would be very nice! Definitely holding off on getting a new Mac for now. I was gonna get the new Mac Pro but I think I should wait, as it's already obsolete with many of these new announcements.

I looked at the preview of Big Sur on Apple's site. I'm not sure what this OS brings to the table. I don't care about new emojis in Messenger. It all seemed really vague with nothing new under the hood. Maybe a slight GUI redesign.

Last edit: by Redifer.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 01 Jul 2020 19:16 #108420

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59

Redifer wrote:

I looked at the preview of Big Sur on Apple's site. I'm not sure what this OS brings to the table..

The ability to run iOS and iPadOS apps directly on the desktop is interesting especially for those of who use such apps in the field. An interesting thing I've heard mentioned a few times, while some talk of an eventual FCPX on iPad, Big Sur and Apple Silcon will quickly bring LumaFusion to the desktop. It might be a good "lead in" editor especially if the first few Macs at the end of the year are a bit underpowered. It might be the "not quite" FCP Express equivalent. It might be interesting to compare LumaFusion vs FCPX performance when the lower end models come out.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 02 Jul 2020 01:26 #108432

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I think adding touch screen support to OS X would require to much time and effort. I think one big reason for Apple silicon running on all Apple devices is so the iMacs will finally get touch screen support. I don't doubt the Apple CPU wafers will have some calculating power but I doubt they will beat a 32 core CPU and an RTX 3080 Ti.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 02 Jul 2020 10:02 #108444

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cseeman wrote: The ability to run iOS and iPadOS apps directly on the desktop is interesting especially for those of who use such apps in the field.

Interesting. I thought that was the big thing for Catalina.

cseeman wrote: some talk of an eventual FCPX on iPad

That would be interesting, but it'd need a keyboard hookup. Multi-gestures would make odd shortcuts. But who knows, I'd have to try it. I wonder how I would access my terabytes of media files on the iPad. The iPad only has one I/O port, Lighting isn't really very incredible from what I understand. Thunderbolt it isn't. More like a USB 2.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 02 Jul 2020 12:47 #108446

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59

No. Hmm do you use macOS? This is specific to BigSur and Apple Silicon

hat would be interesting, but it'd need a keyboard hookup

iPad Pro has had a keyboard option for some time and the new Magic Keyboard extends that to most typical laptop functions.

Lighting isn't really very incredible from what I understand.

iPad Pro dropped Lightening. It now uses USB-C and there are hubs for it.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 02 Jul 2020 16:01 #108450

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

cseeman wrote:

No. Hmm do you use macOS? This is specific to BigSur and Apple Silicon

hat would be interesting, but it'd need a keyboard hookup

iPad Pro has had a keyboard option for some time and the new Magic Keyboard extends that to most typical laptop functions.

Lighting isn't really very incredible from what I understand.

iPad Pro dropped Lightening. It now uses USB-C and there are hubs for it.

Watch this:

Summary is that Big Sur in many respects *b e g s* to be controlled by touches. We don't know the upcoming hardware yet, but the logical consequence would be obsolete mice. The video quotes Steve Jobs on vertical touchscreens, which were an imposition for the user. Therefore it's unlikely that we will see something like iMacs with touchscreens. Will we be gently forced to use our tracked eye movements together with gestures and shortcuts - could be the Apple Glasses, could be a double set of Facetime cams (here is looking at you!) ? Will FCP11 feel more natural on an iPad?

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 02 Jul 2020 22:35 #108455

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cseeman wrote: No. Hmm do you use macOS? This is specific to BigSur and Apple Silicon

Of course I do. But I recall the big thing about Catalina was something to do with iOS. I never downgraded from Mojave to Catalina because Catalina was a big nothing burger. Nothing new to help me with what I do, at least nothing that they were advertising. Instead it breaks compatibility with apps I still use constantly like Quicktime 7. There is no replacement for Quicktime 7 in functionality and ease of use. It's the Windows 8 of Mac OS. Probably not even that good.

Apple Keynote WWDC New FCPX and ARM processors 03 Jul 2020 05:21 #108460

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
You cannot use an iMac exclusively to do determine if touch screen is viable. As Snazzy Lab pointed out the MS Studio is much more ergonomic. The GUI will have an impact as well. I do agree with Snazzy Labs that some things are faster with touch screen than with a mouse an keyboard. Why mouse click after mouse after mouse click if it is easier to touch the screen? Some things will be easier with mouse and keyboard other things will be easier with touch screen. That being said you can use them both simultaneously.

• Page: