• Page:

TOPIC: UpRez'ing a bitrate

UpRez'ing a bitrate 25 Jun 2020 23:45 #108193

• twrench58
  • twrench58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a client that requires a ProRes 442HQ HD file that has a bitrate is 220 Mbps. The files I was given to work with are ProRes 442HQ HD with an average bitrate of 192 Mbps.

Is there anyway to uprez them? A Compressor workflow?

I understand the quality issues, but we are not going up that much.

Thx in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UpRez'ing a bitrate 26 Jun 2020 05:00 #108196

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Asking for a specific bitrate on ProRes files seems to be rather odd. They specified ProRes 422HQ and that's what you have (assuming your resolution and frame rate match what they need). When making ProRes files, you don't specify bitrate. They are what they are and the bitrate can vary a bit. Nothing to be concerned with. I would not change your video before handing them off.... transcoding them would just result in a slight generation loss at this point and there is nothing to gain by increasing the bit rate.

Last edit: by Redifer.

UpRez'ing a bitrate 26 Jun 2020 12:52 #108206

• twrench58
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Completely understood. The footage was shot around 5 years ago. Canon Cine Platform to outboard 10-bit recorders, per Netflix/Apple TV specs. Of course over five years the specs have changed and now they are Netflix/Apple requiring 442HQ HD with a bitrate ~ 220 Mbps in their QC protocol. The project has been 4-walled with DPC and from what I have seen, it looks fine.

I can export it out of Compressor as uncompressed 10-bit (or 8-bit) but the file size is over 500 GBs. But that is a bit obsessive.

UpRez'ing a bitrate 27 Jun 2020 02:35 #108225

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
They are saying 220 Mbps because that is the approximate bitrate of Prores 422HQ with 1080 frame size and 29.97 frame rate. This varies depending on the complexity of the video footage and other factors. I believe submitting what you have in 422 HQ will be acceptable. Here is Apple's current white paper on the Prores codec : www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf
Creating history....one edit at a time !

UpRez'ing a bitrate 27 Jun 2020 14:52 #108261

• twrench58
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
dgwvideo I read the white paper... and it all makes sense. It seems that I have tighter specs the they do. Measure twice cut once.

Thanks for the link to the ProRes PDF. I had a link to a webpage that was not as specific as this.

• Page: