TOPIC: Newbie problem

Newbie problem 06 Jul 2020 13:28 #108501

• loltuner
  • loltuner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

I'm trying to apply a push transition ONLY to certain zone of a fixed image (background) but the new shot hides part i wanna to stay visible.
I assume it has to do with masks but can't make it happen.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie problem 07 Jul 2020 03:48 #108514

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 496
OK, so let me see if I understand. There is part of an image you want to make transition into something else, and leave the rest of the image. Well, duplicate that image on top of itself in the Timeline (Opt-drag).

Use the Draw Mask effect on the top layer to mask out what you want DON'T want to transition.

Apply the transition to that top layer.

Newbie problem 13 Jul 2020 14:29 #108669

• loltuner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, a big sorry for not having answered before and thanks for taking your time to answer my problem.
I have tried your suggestion but can't make it work.

Here is a short video showing my problem.

I have a fixed image as a background and the transition applied on the video hide a part of this background.

Thanks.

Newbie problem 14 Jul 2020 05:10 #108685

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
OK, "transition" is the wrong term, I think. You want the scrolling note notations without the solid white background they are on, correct? Two ways to do that. Apply the Keyer to what you already have, set it to key out the white. Or what I'd do is open those graphics up in Pixelmator or Photoshop and delete that white background, save out as a PNG so the alpha channel is preserved. Maybe use a drop shadow on it, also.

Newbie problem 22 Jul 2020 14:35 #108878

• loltuner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, i understand what you're suggesting i think but i'm not sure it applies in this case.
The chords notation which appear from the bottom (with a transition) is actually a video (scrolling chords following music) not a fixed png, so i can't save it without the white background as you suggest. The fixed background could be saved without the white though but that doesn't help if i'm not mistaken. Here is a pic of where i would like the chords notation video to appear with a transition from the bottom, it has to appear exactly and only within the red square zone without hiding the guitar neck diagram (at the bottom with the blue circles), or the tempo, time signature info of the top. Hope it's clear and i have understood right what you've kindly suggested. Thanks
Attachments:

Newbie problem 23 Jul 2020 09:16 #108894

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Ah, I see. You want to put a mask on the scrolling chords clip. So only that area shows while they scroll up. It's a scroll, not a transition, technically.

• Page: