fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips?

Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips? 08 Jul 2020 02:58 #108531

• bcauch
  • bcauch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

I just edited my first multicam sequence and going forward im going to be editing a lot more. The problem is that I did it in the only way that I knew how, which was painfully slow. Im hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I have my 3 events:
Gh5 (close up)
Gh5 (wide)
Audio

I was manually going through my list of shots and playing through each one to see what scenes were the same. Then I would make a multicam and edit. I know there must be a faster way to do this.

Is there a way to select ALL of my footage and have FCPX automatically search the footage and make multicams out of it? If not, what is the fastest way for me to find the matching 3 items and multicam them? They were using a clapper if that makes a difference.

I hope my questions are clear. I attached a screenshot for reference

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips? 08 Jul 2020 10:41 #108532

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 496
1, I'd put them all in the same Event, separate by Keyword collections.
2, Select all of one camera, in the Inspector give it a Camera Name and an Angle Name (usually a number).
3, Select all of those clips at one time and make one big Multicam clip.
4, In the Browser, skim that Multicam and make Favorites of the parts you need to use.

There are a million ways to do this, but that's how I do it myelf.

Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips? 08 Jul 2020 12:29 #108538

• bcauch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting, thank you. Im going to try this.

What would be the significance using keywords here?

Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips? 08 Jul 2020 13:56 #108544

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

bcauch wrote: ...Is there a way to select ALL of my footage and have FCPX automatically search the footage and make multicams out of it? If not, what is the fastest way for me to find the matching 3 items and multicam them? They were using a clapper if that makes a difference....

FCPX.guru gave a great answer. Below is some more detail and suggestions:

To make the FCPX sync work properly, the clips must be labeled with an angle name or camera name in the Inspector before doing the sync. This isn't that difficult and the entire batch of clips shot by one camera can be named in a single step. In general create multicam clips, not sync clips -- even if you only have a single camera and external audio source. Overall procedure:

1. Before importing anything, put all clips from each camera in a separate uniquely-named named disk folder. E.g, WideGH5, CloseUpGH4, etc.

2. When importing make sure the FCPX preference>Import>Keywords from folders and Finder tags are set. This will automatically tag the imported clips with the camera name. This is especially important when using similar cameras where you can't tell the shots apart from the filenames.

3. Set Event Browser to List View to better see the clip data. Pick menu View>Browser>Toggle Filmstrip/List View or press OPT+CMD+2.

4. If you determine that time of day is incorrect for certain clips since the operator did not set the camera or recorder clock, the clips will not sort adjacent to each other chronologically. This can complicate picking all clips from a given take to sync in a multicam. This can be fixed and adjusted for all clips from that camera. Select the batch of problem clips and Modify>Adjust Content Created Date and Time.

5. After clip time of day is correct, in the Event Browser, select all clips from a given audio recorder or camera. If the Inspector is not on, use CMD+4 to show it.

6. In the Inspector, click the "i" button to show information about the clip. This will reveal a "Camera Name" edit box at the bottom.

7. Enter a Camera Name for that group of clips and press return. This batch labels all selected clips with that camera name.

8. Repeat for each camera or audio recorder. Note all clips from a given device can be labeled in one step, so this is quick.

9. Select all clips in the Event Browser you wish to sync

10. Right-click and select either "New Multicam Clip" or "Synchronize Clips". Some experienced editors suggest using multicam clips even for single-camera situations: www.fcpworks.com/sync-or-multicam-clips/

11. For either multicam or sync clips make sure the checkbox "use audio for synchronization" is checked.

This will create a new multicam or sync clip which is synchronized using audio. You can double-click the multicam clip and open it in the Angle Editor to verify or adjust the sync. If the sync is not correct you can drag the problem clip left/right or use the comma/period keys for single frame adjustment or left and right angle bracket for 10-frame adjustments.

If you later want to add another camera to an existing multicam, click on down arrow next to the angle name at left of the timeline when in the Angle Editor, and select "Add Angle", then drag the new clip from the Event Browser to the new lane on the timeline.

If a clip is synced incorrectly you can selectively re-sync that one clip within the multicam. In the Angle Editor, click down arrow next to the angle name for the master audio you wish to sync to, and select "Set Monitoring Angle". Then select the clip which is synced wrong, and on that lane's name select the down arrow and pick "Sync Selection to Monitoring Angle". Only that one clip will be re-synced.

Likewise if you forget to add a clip to the multicam during the initial sync, it's not necessary to rebuild the multicam. Just drag/drop the additional clip to the proper angle in the Angle Editor, then use the above procedure to sync that one clip within the multicam.

"Sync and adjust camera angles": support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/sy...gles-ver23c76b1a/mac

Fastest Way to Sort/Sync Multicam Clips? 08 Jul 2020 15:33 #108546

• bcauch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote:

bcauch wrote: ...Is there a way to select ALL of my footage and have FCPX automatically search the footage and make multicams out of it? If not, what is the fastest way for me to find the matching 3 items and multicam them? They were using a clapper if that makes a difference....

FCPX.guru gave a great answer. Below is some more detail and suggestions:

To make the FCPX sync work properly, the clips must be labeled with an angle name or camera name in the Inspector before doing the sync. This isn't that difficult and the entire batch of clips shot by one camera can be named in a single step. In general create multicam clips, not sync clips -- even if you only have a single camera and external audio source. Overall procedure:

1. Before importing anything, put all clips from each camera in a separate uniquely-named named disk folder. E.g, WideGH5, CloseUpGH4, etc.

2. When importing make sure the FCPX preference>Import>Keywords from folders and Finder tags are set. This will automatically tag the imported clips with the camera name. This is especially important when using similar cameras where you can't tell the shots apart from the filenames.

3. Set Event Browser to List View to better see the clip data. Pick menu View>Browser>Toggle Filmstrip/List View or press OPT+CMD+2.

4. If you determine that time of day is incorrect for certain clips since the operator did not set the camera or recorder clock, the clips will not sort adjacent to each other chronologically. This can complicate picking all clips from a given take to sync in a multicam. This can be fixed and adjusted for all clips from that camera. Select the batch of problem clips and Modify>Adjust Content Created Date and Time.

5. After clip time of day is correct, in the Event Browser, select all clips from a given audio recorder or camera. If the Inspector is not on, use CMD+4 to show it.

6. In the Inspector, click the "i" button to show information about the clip. This will reveal a "Camera Name" edit box at the bottom.

7. Enter a Camera Name for that group of clips and press return. This batch labels all selected clips with that camera name.

8. Repeat for each camera or audio recorder. Note all clips from a given device can be labeled in one step, so this is quick.

9. Select all clips in the Event Browser you wish to sync

10. Right-click and select either "New Multicam Clip" or "Synchronize Clips". Some experienced editors suggest using multicam clips even for single-camera situations: www.fcpworks.com/sync-or-multicam-clips/

11. For either multicam or sync clips make sure the checkbox "use audio for synchronization" is checked.

This will create a new multicam or sync clip which is synchronized using audio. You can double-click the multicam clip and open it in the Angle Editor to verify or adjust the sync. If the sync is not correct you can drag the problem clip left/right or use the comma/period keys for single frame adjustment or left and right angle bracket for 10-frame adjustments.

If you later want to add another camera to an existing multicam, click on down arrow next to the angle name at left of the timeline when in the Angle Editor, and select "Add Angle", then drag the new clip from the Event Browser to the new lane on the timeline.

If a clip is synced incorrectly you can selectively re-sync that one clip within the multicam. In the Angle Editor, click down arrow next to the angle name for the master audio you wish to sync to, and select "Set Monitoring Angle". Then select the clip which is synced wrong, and on that lane's name select the down arrow and pick "Sync Selection to Monitoring Angle". Only that one clip will be re-synced.

Likewise if you forget to add a clip to the multicam during the initial sync, it's not necessary to rebuild the multicam. Just drag/drop the additional clip to the proper angle in the Angle Editor, then use the above procedure to sync that one clip within the multicam.

"Sync and adjust camera angles": support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/sy...gles-ver23c76b1a/mac

Wow thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate you taking the time to break it down like this. Im going to follow this step by step tonight and give it a shot.

• Page: