fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scrolling Word Processor document.

Scrolling Word Processor document. 10 Jul 2020 12:04 #108579

• SusieQ
  • SusieQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi.

I am making an instructional video and need to have the body of my script scrolling on screen. It is a large document, 20 A4 pages.
What would you use to paste the text into and adjust the timing so that I can voiceover the words?

Thanks.

Stay Safe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scrolling Word Processor document. 11 Jul 2020 04:48 #108617

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 496
I'd use the Scrolling title template in the Credits category. Select all the default text, delete, then paste in your own text and format as you wish. Perhaps not paste all the text at once, maybe do it in sections, to match your speaking patterns. Speed is adjusted by the duration of the title clip itself.

Scrolling Word Processor document. 11 Jul 2020 07:26 #108621

• SusieQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. I was wondering if is a ‘paid’ solution that may be better, in some way?

Scrolling Word Processor document. 11 Jul 2020 15:52 #108627

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi SusieQ
Welcome to the fcp.co forums.
To add to Ben's (FCPXGuru) comment…
You can also add blank line(s) in your scrolling text via the return key in the Text Inspector window. This will add a line space and slight delay to scrolling text. This will keep steady scroll speed, but allow delay before next text segments appear.
Adding multiple scrolling text titles with only the section or text you want to appear, allows you to time the text to a presentation, but be aware of differences in speed of scroll between clips.
You can also size/position the "window" or portion of screen that the text appears in if you want to only use a portion of total window.

There are other ways to display text including Lower Thirds with horizontal scrolling much like you see in newscasts. You can paste the text just like in the scrolling title and then you can split the title element, add spacing, gap clips, etc….
The biggest issue with scrolling text titles is the text is in constant motion, so it does not stop and can be distracting for viewers trying to read while something else is going on.
There are several other ways to do this, it just depends on how you want to do the presentation.
Adding and duplicating a static Title clip, will give you more control of timing, and is easier for reading especially if there are additional elements like graphics or video playing while text is displayed. This will require more work as you need to segment your document for each Title clip.
You could also use CC or SubTitles including having a translation service create a timed text based of you reading and audio recording your document while your video is playing(if complete). This way the text will be synced to what is showing. I think it is just as easy to split text in Timeline and not have to worry about messed up words in the conversion. You already have the text.
Best of Luck
Hope this Helps, Greg

Scrolling Word Processor document. 11 Jul 2020 21:19 #108632

• SusieQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you.
Having thought about it some more. What I am aiming at is the text running as a autocue display. Viewers would see it as I am reading it.
I will look carefully at your suggestions.

Scrolling Word Processor document. 12 Jul 2020 15:27 #108644

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175
Be careful. "animated" text of that length in an instructional video may end up as "non constructive".
As VidGreg already mentioned that "motion conflicts" between video content and animated text easily can happen.
Do some tests before you proceed.

Scrolling Word Processor document. 12 Jul 2020 15:52 #108645

• SusieQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. It’s not really for them to ‘read‘. Just thought it would be more interesting that just some random background pictures. Which there will also be...

Scrolling Word Processor document. 14 Jul 2020 15:53 #108698

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hey SusieQ
Ran across this and thought you might get some additional ideas and techniques…

Izzy has some great video tutorials

Happy Editing, Greg

• Page: