fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some annoying things about keyframing.

Some annoying things about keyframing. 02 Aug 2020 15:10 #109084

• r10k
  • r10k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So I've been using FCPX for a long time now, but there have always been a few things about keyframing that I drive me nuts. After all these years of using the app, I started to wonder if I'd missed something, or if it's just something that's sub-par.

If I want an effect to take place from the start of the clip to the end, I snap the playhead to the start and add a keyframe in the inspector. If I drag the playhead to the end of the clip, I can't do that, because FCPX picks the frame after the clip, not the frame at the end. This is also an issue if I use the keys to select the end of a clip.

Okay, so maybe I should use the animation editor. I load that up, but find adding a keyframe to the very end of a clip just as annoying - I have to add one away from the edge and drag it to the very end, at which point it's hidden by the end of the clip for some reason. Glancing at the animation editor, there's no visible way to see I have a keyframe there.

Double FCPX fail, or... have I missed something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some annoying things about keyframing. 03 Aug 2020 11:09 #109091

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 739
Every able does this. It displays the frame to the right of the playhead. (Except at the end of the project where you see the so-called magic frame.). To keyframe the last frame of a clip you use the down arrow to go the next edit point and the left arrow to go back one frame.

Some annoying things about keyframing. 03 Aug 2020 13:22 #109094

• r10k
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, thanks, that much I’d worked out.

Some annoying things about keyframing. 03 Aug 2020 14:03 #109095

• JarrodMFay
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
That is a hassle. Keyframing in FCPX (IMHO) can be done but is super clunky compared to any motion gfx program. I find myself just powering through the tasks when I have to animate in FCPX and if there is enough time moving over to Motion. I wish they had spent more time refining this aspect of the program and less on 3D text but I understand it's important to roll out "new" features.

Some annoying things about keyframing. 03 Aug 2020 14:25 #109096

• r10k
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hopefully we see some refinement to that area. I might drop a line via the ever mysterious feedback page...

• Page: