• Page:

TOPIC: External Media volume links break

External Media volume links break 12 Aug 2020 00:27 #109232

• mindbend
  • mindbend's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an external hard drive that I synchronize with another drive to create a MASTER and BACKUP drive. The BACKUP drive goes to my assistant editor at a remote location.

All the FCPX libraries use external media (not managed media). All that media is in one big folder.

Every time I sync the drive, my assistant editor has to relink the files even though the root folder names are identical. This is a colossal waste of time. Additionally, when relinking, there are warnings of XYZ number of files were found, but XYZ were not compatible, even though they all worked just fine on my end using the MASTER drive.

Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Media volume links break 12 Aug 2020 02:39 #109234

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 348

mindbend wrote: I have an external hard drive that I synchronize with another drive to create a MASTER and BACKUP drive. The BACKUP drive goes to my assistant editor at a remote location. All the FCPX libraries use external media (not managed media). All that media is in one big folder...Every time I sync the drive, my assistant editor has to relink the files even though the root folder names are identical. This is a colossal waste of time....Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Part of the pathname to each media file is the disk volume name. After syncing the master and backup drives, if your assistant renames the backup drive to master, the media files should connect without relinking.

Your assistant can verify the proper pathname by selecting a single media file in FCPX, starting (but not finishing) the relink process, then looking at the bottom of the media list in the relink dialog. That is the resolved symlink pointing to where it expects the file should be, including disk volume name. To avoid a relink, the listed pathname must be where the file actually is on the hard drive.

If a relink is ever necessary but fails on some files, pick a single failed file and try to relink that one. For the single-file case the error will state why it failed (file size mis-match, duration too short, audio config wrong, etc)

All FCPX media drives should be only HFS+ or APFS, not ExFAT or any other format.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: