• Page:

TOPIC: 10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 03 Sep 2020 00:41 #109811

• bcassin
  • bcassin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone else having an issue relinking to externally created proxies? When I select the clips that are offline and go to relink to proxies. I get the relink dialog with no media clips to relink. If I switch to relink all, same issue.

BUT if I select relink to original I have the option to relink.

Am I misunderstanding how relinking to externally created media should be done?

It's as if FCPX doesn't think the offline clips need proxies.
Owner InnerParakeet
www.innerparakeet.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 03 Sep 2020 11:12 #109815

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352

bcassin wrote: Anyone else having an issue relinking to externally created proxies? When I select the clips that are offline and go to relink to proxies. I get the relink dialog with no media clips to relink. If I switch to relink all, same issue....

The new feature to relink to external 3rd-party proxies requires XML to guide the process. Otherwise FCPX has no reliable way of knowing what proxy file matches what media file.

www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/08/final-cut...rkflow-improvements/

The process was described this way: "Editors can now link to proxy media generated by third-party applications via XML. Examples include Frame.io, a cloud-based creative collaboration platform for review and approval, plus asset management tools like Keyflow Pro and PostLab."

It seems plausible that clever people like Philip Hodgetts and Andreas Kiel (who are highly skilled at XML metadata) might eventually offer utilities to facilitate this.

Philip Hodgetts site: www.intelligentassistance.com
Andreas Kiel site: www.spherico.com/filmtools/

Last edit: by joema.

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 12 Sep 2020 14:59 #109984

• wang_enn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Before you relink the proxy files ,you have to relink the original , then copy the libary to another mac , relink the proxy files will apper.

Last edit: by wang_enn.

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 12 Sep 2020 15:59 #109986

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

wang_enn wrote: Before you relink the proxy files ,you have to relink the original , then copy the libary to another mac , relink the proxy files will apper.

On 10.4.09 it is not necessary to relink original media before relinking to FCPX-generated external proxies. After moving proxies to another drive, they will go off line, then you just select those red clips, then Files>Relink Files>Proxy Media. It will relink only the proxies in their new location.

The OP was asking about 3rd-party proxies, not FCPX-generated proxies. 3rd-party proxies will not relink by any method, but require XML from the software that generated them. Examples include Frame.io, Keyflow Pro and PostLab. Possibly after 3rd-party proxies are connected via XML they could be relinked using the above method if moved to another drive.

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 12 Sep 2020 16:40 #109987

• wang_enn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I use ffmpeg to convert the proxy files. The origin files must be online before i link to the ffmpeg proxy files , If the origin files missing i got error,the relink window didn’t show the missing proxy files. Once I set all proxy files online .I copy project without origin files to the other mac relink proxy files works fine too .

Last edit: by wang_enn.

10.4.9 unable to relink to externally created proxies 12 Sep 2020 16:59 #109988

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

wang_enn wrote: I use ffmpeg to convert the proxy files. The origin files must be online before i link to the ffmpeg proxy files...

With 10.4.9, why would you create proxies with ffmpeg, since FCPX gives ability for various frame sizes, both ProRes and H264? With 10.4.9 there is a very simple workflow for creating a small proxy-only library. The procedure is much less error-prone than previous methods. It automatically handles non-proxy assets such as audio and graphics. See Ripple Training summary starting at 11:32:

• Page: