fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 12 Sep 2020 00:05 #109981

• Teo
  • Teo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I know this is a long shot: DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAPPEN TO HAVE A WORKING INSTALL OF FCP 10.0.X OR UP TO 10.3? I need to work with an older Final Cut project file, but I did not know that after 10.3, you cannot access the file even to convert it. My old machine that had 10.0.x installed died, and even if I could find the installers, it probably wont run on the new mac OS... If anyone could help, I'd be happy to pay something for your effort! Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 12 Sep 2020 17:58 #109989

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
I was not aware that one could not open a pre-10.3 project in FCPX.

I believe that FCPX would open the project nevertheless and prompts you that it will update them.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207261

What happens when you try to open the library ?

PS: I've sent you a DM

Last edit: by manoucho.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 12 Sep 2020 18:08 #109993

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
You can’t open a project that is pre-10.1. The last version that could do that was 10.2.3.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 12 Sep 2020 18:10 #109994

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
I didn't know that. Not great.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 12 Sep 2020 18:46 #109995

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
I have the older versions. Unfortunately I’m away and won’t have access to them for six weeks.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 13 Sep 2020 13:58 #110004

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I have FCPX 10.0.8 (2013) that'll probably get you to where you need to be. 2.35 GB. Noodle a way for me to get it to you and it's yours.

(I never have NEW versions displace PREVIOUS versions when updating. I always make a zip file of the stale app, just in case, for times like these. That's why I have something like 9 various versions of FCP languishing around here, not to mention G3, G4, and Power Mac G5 machines holding themselves in reserve.)

Last edit: by VTCmedia.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 13 Sep 2020 14:51 #110005

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi VTC, thanks so much for answering. And your advice about backing up the old apps. My concern is that the 10.08 won’t install or run on my current system, running OS 10.14. I will check w Apple. As I’m new to this forum. I’m not sure if there’s a direct message way to get you my info? Thanks again!

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 13 Sep 2020 14:53 #110006

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Tom for responding. This has become more complicated than I’d thought!

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 13:03 #110011

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It won't open on 10.14 but here's an idea....
If you have an XML file send it to me and I'll do various version updates. It will have all sorts of missing file warnings on my end but you should be able to open it successfully on your end since you have all the elements on your end. Or you can send the library (removing all imported heavy weight assets imported) and I'll convert from that.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 13:35 #110012

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again for your ideas. My problem is that I never had the foresight to save a copy of this older project as an XML. It's only an FCP project file, and is somewhere in the version 10.0.x (I think pre-10.1). But my old Mac tower, running OS 10.9 died, and so here I am! If you do have an older machine like a G5 w/ the FCP 10.0.8 still running, then maybe you could open my FCP project file, and even though the links will be missing, hopefully you could export out an XML that would at least retain the project structure and the clip names? I don't however want to ask you to put any time into such a thing! At the end of the day– I can suck it up and just re-create this edit if I must. It's only a 3 minute piece anyway. Thanks again.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 15:29 #110014

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey, I live for challenges. If I can restore 16mm film from 1929 to 2k brilliance surely I can handle a Final Cut project from 2000. I fired up a G5 running 10.5.8 (What's that, Tiger?) so I'm confident we can get you rolling in no time. Dropbox the file & send the link.
- - - - - -
For future editing reference I ALWAYS save an xml file (designated with Date/Time, 091520-1028) after every export as a way to archive the job in its current state, irrespective of the library. A sort of DUPLICATE PROJECT AS SNAPSHOT without all the additional library overhead. Keeps me from having to dig through the FCP backup files to go back to an earlier time.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 15:37 #110015

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again SO much! How do I get your email address to send you the link?
Yes, and thank you for the sage advice! Lesson learned!

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 16:10 #110017

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sent a private message with the address.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 16:51 #110023

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi again, so sorry– I see that I have a PM waiting, but the website doesn't let me view it. I don;t know what I'm doing wrong. If you are on Instagram, I have an account under @teocamporeale, could you DM me there?

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 14 Sep 2020 22:33 #110028

• Teo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi again, so sorry– I see that I have a PM waiting, but the website doesn't let me view it. I don;t know what I'm doing wrong. If you are on Instagram, I have an account under @teocamporeale could you DM me there with your email?

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 15 Sep 2020 03:42 #110034

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 506
PM has been broken here for a very long time, and may never get fixed.

Help! Need to convert an old FCP Project file from 10.0.x to an XML or 10.4.5 17 Sep 2020 18:10 #110101

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
To close this episode out I'll tell future readers how this was resolved.
- - - - -
OP had a project file from Final Cut Pro 7, not an early version of FCPX.
I discovered this after sending of the file. I used FCP7 to open the file and then exported an XML file. Somewhere I have the app SendToX (formerly 7toX) that can be used to automatically update the files for use with FCPX but that's been long buried on one of the 20+ drives here so before I went spelunking I had him see if the conversion XMLs (there were 11) worked.

FCPX will not directly import the FCP7 xml without the SendToX conversion but Davinci Resolve will. Evidently he didn't have Resolve but did have Premier Pro and that worked.
- - - - -
It worked! FCPX didn’t recognize it, maybe because I’m running a trial version? But PremierPro had no issues. So I’m on my way, and once again, Thank you so much for your help!! Much appreciated

Last edit: by VTCmedia.
  • Page: