fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export?

C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export? 17 Sep 2020 05:40 #110085

• BillBridger
  • BillBridger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a tricky one for me to figure out.

C300 II footage shot in 4K, C-LOG3, Rec. 709

The footage looks flat, as you'd expect from LOG in the file browser, when imported into FCPX it looks flat while skimming and during playback but a second or two after I pause it gets a slightly darker look. There are no 'camera LUTS' applied in the inspector. I'm not sure why this is happening, never had it happen with Sony Fs5 LOG footage.

Weirdly, when I turn on Rec 709 Range Checks it doesn't automatically get darker, but when I export the exported file is darker and the timeline footage THEN becomes darker after all.

This is making color grading a nightmare, it looks one way while paused but whenever I make any changes or press play it looks different.

Any ideas? Thank you so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export? 18 Sep 2020 21:33 #110128

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
If you're on 10.4.9 then this is currently a bug with canon Xf-avc footage that Apple is aware of. Workaround is to transcode the footage to Prores.

If you're not then I don’t know :-)

C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export? 18 Sep 2020 23:22 #110129

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

BillBridger wrote: C300 II footage shot in 4K, C-LOG3, Rec. 709

The footage looks flat, as you'd expect from LOG in the file browser, when imported into FCPX it looks flat while skimming and during playback but a second or two after I pause it gets a slightly darker look...

www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...i-log-footage#109977

C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export? 19 Sep 2020 08:45 #110132

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
This is a known bug with 10.4.9 and it's not related to any OS version. It also occurs when running 10.4.9 with the latest dev version of Big Sur.

Rewrapping externally prior to importing, or converting to optimized or proxy (LT) media inside FCP X after importing, is the current workaround.

Make sure to file a bug report.

- Ronny

C300 II C-LOG 3 footage looks flat only during playback but not pause/export? 24 Sep 2020 21:40 #110211

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
The just released 10.4.10 update fixes the issue :-)

Make sure to also update the Pro Video Codecs to 2.1.3

Last edit: by cofe. Reason: addition
  • Page: