TOPIC: Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX

Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX 17 Sep 2020 07:43 #110087

• Saki
  • Saki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

whenever i have to edit commercials and i get the music stems from the mucisian and to make my life easier i create compound clips to edit with

But i have found that as the job continues FCP X and opening or making a snap shot of a project starts slowing down radically. sometimes it takes about 3/4 min before and bin is opened that has my edits in

I running fcpx 10.4.9, but ths problem has been around before .9 and i found it happens on a pretty powerfull imac and, because i mostly work of my macbook pro with the following specs : a 2017 mode,l processor : 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7. memory : 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Graphics : Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB; it also happens

has anyone please got a reason for this and hopefully a solution ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX 20 Sep 2020 12:37 #110138

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
It may not be the compound clips, although too many can cause issues. How many compounds are you creating in one project timeline? Why so many? More details about what you're actually trying to achieve would help.

Snapshots should not cause any slowdowns at all.

What third party plugins are you using?

Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX 20 Sep 2020 16:38 #110141

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

FCPX.guru wrote: ...Snapshots should not cause any slowdowns at all...

In my experience creating a bunch of snapshots might slow things down. It seems variable, based on project complexity, machine performance and where the library is located. If the library is on a fast SSD it seems less pronounced.

Each snapshot is another CurrentVersion.fcpevent database (like any other project). In theory a large # of projects need not slow things down. But according to the SQLite documentation, each open database consumes resources.

It appears FCPX may internally pre-open a certain # of projects, possibly to improve response time when one is clicked on. This is apparent because under some conditions it shifts to a deferred opening algorithm, where you suddenly see an "opening project..." status line, followed by a delay. This is when you don't click on the project -- it just does it.

I'm guessing they are trying to balance three things: (1) Cumulative overhead if all projects were internally pre-opened (2) Response time if they only opened projects on user action, and (3) A "no config" UI so it's fully automatic as it shifts between modes.

In my experience if you make more than about 20-30 moderate-complexity snapshots, it is more likely to slow down -- mainly when opening a library or shortly afterward.

IMO it's a good idea to have a "lean library" (no media or cache) located on a fast SSD. The cache should ideally also be on that SSD. The reason for separate cache is not performance (it would also be on SSD) but to keep the library small for easy file-level backup and it also streamlines deleting cache items like thumbnails, waveforms, and optical flow files which cannot be deleted using the FCPX UI.

Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX 21 Sep 2020 08:16 #110150

• Saki
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Joema, thanks

I quickly read through what you wrote and will go through it in more detail, but it makes a lot of sense what you are saying

Thanks for taking the time to respond in so much detail. I'll let you know how it works out

Many thanks
SAki

Compounding multiple audio clip slowing down FCPX 21 Sep 2020 08:27 #110151

• Saki
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
FCPX.guru

thanks

I wrote a response but got kicked out suddenly so I will respond a bit later again

• Page: