fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 02 Oct 2020 02:20 #110316

• owenpga
  • owenpga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just purchased a macbook pro with final cut and motion.
I'm planning on doing some of my FC work on the macbook.
All of my FC work is currently sitting on my macpro.
Is there a relatively easy way to transfer or copy files from one computer to the other.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 02 Oct 2020 11:04 #110319

• steve223
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
just copy the library over to the MacBook and ensure you have same fonts and plug ins installed

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 02 Oct 2020 12:28 #110321

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
Consolidate first.

Your work should be on a fast external drive anyway, so that would just be plugging it into the new MBP.

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 02 Oct 2020 12:36 #110322

• owenpga
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
thank you. why do i need to be on an external drive? The system is plenty fast.
I have three different drives on mac pro and one of them is for video only. I back up that to an external plus crashplan on cloud.

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 02 Oct 2020 22:25 #110325

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
System drives are very busy, and if your projects get big enough or complex enough, they'll start to bog down. System drives are constantly writing/reading temporary hidden files to get work done behind the scenes. Drives are relatively cheap now, so it doesn't hurt to put it all on a fast external. Especially for a laptop.

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 03 Oct 2020 11:42 #110326

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370

owenpga wrote: ...why do i need to be on an external drive? The system is plenty fast....

The newest generation of internal NVMe SSDs in Macs is very fast. However even those have limitations in small random IO per sec. See attached ATTO benchmark from my 2019 MacBook Pro 16.

As FCPX.guru said, there are often IO demands on the system drive you don't envision. E.g, even though MacOS and FCPX efficiently use RAM, there are certain usage profiles that may cause paging to disk on a 16GB machine. The SSD is fast but his nonetheless consumes IO bandwidth, making less available for FCPX.

Some of this is covered in this MaxTech video "How much RAM do you really need for Macs in 2020?":

Another issue is internal SSDs are typically not that big. FCPX usually consumes more storage than you expect: proxy files, cache files, optical flow files, etc. So even if the NVMe internal SSD is fast enough, it may not be big enough -- once you consider real-world space consumption.

Also you can't use 100% of the SSD storage. You need to reserve a certain % of free space because unpredictable things will consume internal storage. E.g, MacOS updates, various downloads, cloud-based syncing such as DropBox, iCloud, etc. Exhausting space on an internal drive is more disruptive and risky than doing that on an external drive.

I am personally not against using the new NVMe internal SSD for certain tasks, and the next Macs I get will probably have 4TB SSD. But you must understand the limitations. True you can get a new MBP 16 with 8TB internal SSD, but those are very expensive.

Below: ATTO disk benchmark on 2019 MacBook Pro 16 with 2TB SSD. Note how data rate is limited at small read sizes. While FCPX does large sequential reads on media files, it does small random reads & writes on the library, waveform, thumbnails and plist files.
Attachments:

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 03 Oct 2020 11:47 #110327

• owenpga
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Joema - i will definitely take a look. the video world it pretty new to me.
Not sure if you use a laptop in this capacity, but would you have any recommendations on
external drives for laptops. i know there are many.
Thank you.

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 03 Oct 2020 12:32 #110328

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370

owenpga wrote: Thanks Joema - i will definitely take a look. the video world it pretty new to me.
Not sure if you use a laptop in this capacity, but would you have any recommendations on
external drives for laptops. i know there are many.
Thank you.

I have tested many external SSDs. In the 2TB size range, this Helix drive is my favorite. Unlike many other small units it does not have thermal slowdowns under sustained writing: www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCR1S3K/

Another option is getting a compact bus-powered chassis for two SATA SSDs. USB-A was limited in the DC power it could supply so most high-performance mechanical drives and some multi-bay SSD drives required AC power.

Now that USB-C can provide sufficient power, we have smaller multi-bay units like this one. You can get your own preferred SSDs: oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/CB3R3.html

In general I use Samsung EVO 860: www.amazon.com/dp/B07864XY8B/

QVO (aka QLC) SSDs are less expensive per MB but might not be optimal for a RAID config. Under sustained writing the internal cache can become depleted, resulting in slower performance. This video explains the underlying technology and tradeoffs. "How do QLC SSDs work, and should you avoid them?":

However SATA drives are old tech. They are still used because they are less expensive per MB and if used in a RAID-0 config are pretty fast.

NVMe is a newer, fast standard. In this MaxTech video they describe how to make your own NVMe external drive:

However SATA drives are old tech. They are still used because they are less expensive per MB and if used in a RAID-0 config are pretty fast.

NVMe is a newer, fast standard. In this MaxTech video they describe how to make your own NVMe external drive:

how to tranfer/copy final cut work to another computer 03 Oct 2020 12:34 #110329

• owenpga
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
this is great info. thank you for your time. owen

• Page: