fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ?

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 04 Oct 2020 12:19 #110340

• waddlelou
  • waddlelou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi:) ,
I don't know if I can directly record a video from my dslr (lumix) to my computer (final cut pro x), in 4k.
I would like to avoid recording to an sd card (dslr) and then transfer to the computer. I would like to save time.
Anyone already tested this idea?

Thank you;) .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 18 Oct 2020 04:54 #110524

• kohlson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
You want a 4K capture card. Best to look at some reviews - they vary in performance and quality.

Last edit: by kohlson.

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 28 Oct 2020 20:48 #110644

• waddlelou
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The capture card requires software and does not record video track and audio track on the FCPX. I am looking to record directly to fcpx. I don't know if it's possible ...

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 29 Oct 2020 13:17 #110646

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
There's always the Elgato Cam Link 4K at the low end.
www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link-4k
Magewell HDMI 4k Plus on the higher more reliable end.
www.magewell.com/products/usb-capture-hdmi-4k-plus
Blackmagic Ultra Sutio 4K Mini gives you more controls and uses Thunderbolt
www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultras.../techspecs/W-DLUS-11

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 02 Nov 2020 10:50 #110667

• waddlelou
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
okay. if i use a capture card 4k, i save the video file (dslr) to a pc ssd, or it's just a stream without backup?

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 02 Nov 2020 16:53 #110669

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
You can try to record in camera depending on the camera. Some cameras have limitations on live output and internal recording. Given you're sending nearly uncompressed to the computer that would likely be the best quality recording compared to an in camera compressed coded.

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 02 Nov 2020 21:57 #110676

• degeneric
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

waddlelou wrote: The capture card requires software and does not record video track and audio track on the FCPX. I am looking to record directly to fcpx. I don't know if it's possible ...

This is what you need: softron.tv/products/movierecorder-express to record directly to FCP and be able to edit the clip while it ingest plus a capture card like the one mentioned in earlier post.

Last edit: by degeneric.

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 07 Nov 2020 11:33 #110748

• waddlelou
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Softron is very expensive...software+hardware = it's perfect but expensive for me.

Last edit: by waddlelou.

Record (4k) a video from my dslr to my computer (without sd card) ? 07 Nov 2020 15:26 #110751

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 536
Bear in mind that you also have parts that can fail during a recording. If you are using HDMI connections, they're flimsy on all hardware. I can't count the number of times I've had HDMI connections fail because something got very gently bumped. There's a safety to SD cards that I think the extra time is worth.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you recording/editing in real-time? You may want to consider an ATEM Mini. Live switching saves tons of time. I've been doing live switching at the TV station for years and got an ATEM Mini Pro ISO simply to save me doing multicam edits. It takes some work to get the hang of, but worth the time spent.

But to edit files while recording in real-time, that is going to cost for that ability.

• Page: