fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Color grading - Order of Color Corrections

Color grading - Order of Color Corrections 07 Oct 2020 20:54 #110390

• JonnyBoy
  • JonnyBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone,

Does it matter what order the color corrections are placed when it comes to grading within the inspector window? For example, let's say I make my first set of color CORRECTION (adjusting white balance, exposure etc.) in a color board as "Color Correction 1". Then, let's say that I perform some actual color GRADING in a color wheel as "Color Correction 2". Finally, let's say that I do some last minute color touches in a color curves as my "Color Correction 3".

I've seen some youtube tutorials where they mention the placement of the "Color Corrections" within the inspector window matters. For example, if I drag and place "Color Correction 2" above "Color Correction 1" or "Color Correction 1" below "Color Correction's 2 & 3".

Hopefully this makes sense but I was wondering if this all matters as none of the tutorials go into this topic specifically.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Color grading - Order of Color Corrections 08 Oct 2020 08:26 #110393

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Yes it absolutely makes a difference. The second Color Correction is making changes on the picture based on what was already done with the first one. If, for example, you have a Color Correction as #1, then a Hue/Saturation Curves adjustment as #2 where you desaturated all of the low luma levels, then a Color Correction as #3 making the entire image darker. If you move the #3 Color Correction to spot #2 before the Hue/Saturation Curves, you will suddenly get a lot more desaturation in your picture because more of it is darker before the Hue/Saturation Curves adjustments see the image.

I hope that makes sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: