fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Synchronised clip manual adjustments in browser appear in project timeline edit?

Synchronised clip manual adjustments in browser appear in project timeline edit? 09 Oct 2020 19:32 #110415

• sgreszcz
  • sgreszcz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just realised that I have some audio sync problems with my synchronised interview clip. I've already used dozens of selects from that synchronised clip in my edit. When I fix the original synchronised clip by nudging the good audio track, the changes don't follow through into the edit.

Is there a trick to get the changes made in the clip browser (in my case, the synchronised clip) show up in the project edit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Synchronised clip manual adjustments in browser appear in project timeline edit? 12 Oct 2020 12:33 #110444

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 536
All audio should be video standard 48kHz sample rate. I'm going to guess if you verify this, some of your clips are 44.1kHz.

Synchronised clip manual adjustments in browser appear in project timeline edit? 12 Oct 2020 13:57 #110447

• sgreszcz
  • sgreszcz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply. The audio is actually 48kHz, but when I was editing I noticed that the segments of the syncronised clip that I made was slightly off. The problem (if it is that) with FCPX is that if you go back into the original clip in the event browser and make changes, it doesn't register in the main project timeline. In this case I fixed the sync in the sychronised clip in the browser but the selected clips that I had added to my timeline were still out of sync.

The workaround I did was:
First I did the manual nudge sync fix of the main interview clip in the media browser.

Then I turned on the ‘view used media’ feature and switched from filmstrip mode into the other clip view mode (list view).

Then I opened a new project and cut/pasted those ‘used’ clip segments into that new project.

After that I went back and forth cutting and pasting the b-roll, titles, etc to the new project...

The only thing I had to redo was the audio handles on all the interview clips in the new project and fortunately I wasn’t too far along before I realised the slightly annoying sync issues.

Lessons learned - use a clapper, check sync clip carefully and then ‘wrap’ in compound clip next time (as someone told me that adjustments in a compound clip get reflected in a project timeline).

• Page: