fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Convert clip to 59.94 fps

Convert clip to 59.94 fps 10 Oct 2020 18:54 #110429

• davecar52
  • davecar52's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am very new to FCPX, sorry. When I have a clip in fcpx at 29.97 fps, I can not find a way to convert it to 59.94 fps. The Clip Information box (upper right) does not show MODIFY in the lower right corner. I have tried many things by searching the web but nothing seems to work. I want to interpolate a new clip to help smooth some pans in 4k.
I'm on a 2017 iMac pro with FCPX 10.4.10.
I would aslo be open to a outside program for converting before importing to fcpx. Or a plugin?
Please give me some suggestions.
Thanks very much,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Convert clip to 59.94 fps 12 Oct 2020 11:28 #110440

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 372

davecar52 wrote: I am very new to FCPX, sorry. When I have a clip in fcpx at 29.97 fps, I can not find a way to convert it to 59.94 fps. The Clip Information box (upper right) does not show MODIFY in the lower right corner....I want to interpolate a new clip to help smooth some pans in 4k...

- File>New Project>Use Custom Settings, manually enter 59.94 fps
- Import clip and add to project or copy/paste clips from current 29.97 timeline
- In new project select clip or clips
- In Video Inspector (CMD+4), scroll to bottom, under Rate Conform>Frame Sampling, pick Optical Flow.
- If not using background rendering, render timeline to cache by selecting clips with CMD+A and render with CTRL+R.

Above procedure will maintain the same clip duration and same rates of subject motion, panning, yet will use optical flow techniques to interpolate a new frame in between each original 29.97 frame.

Optical flow methods have a significant CPU cost and render time. It can sometimes produce bending or warping artifacts so you must closely examine the footage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: