fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX?

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 11 Oct 2020 19:06 #110435

• tom.dallal@gmail.com
  • tom.dallal@gmail.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Has any wise FCPX audio person figured out how to use, on distinct roles within a compound audio clip, Izotope’s:

1) Neutron 3 Mix Assistant (both the track and mix assistant sub-parts of this feature),

(2) Nectar 3’s Vocal Assistant (both the assist and unmask sub-parts of this feature),

(3) Relay plug-in (required for the Neutron 3 Mix Assistant [mix assistant sub-part] in (1) above? When testing (1) and (2) above on a compound(ed) audio track (containing just 2 roles – dialogue and music), it appears that Neutron 3 and Nectar 3 do not ‘hear’ FCPX audio when you are prompted by the respective assistant to play the audio you seek to modify, rendering these Izotope assistants unable to do their assisting work/recommendations. If anyone has experience and has been able to make either or both of these to work within FCPX, I will be grateful to hear or to be pointed toward any excellent resources. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 12 Oct 2020 12:21 #110441

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 536
Because FCPX does not have the full ensemble of software "hooks" for much of that functionality, the ones a DAW would have, the plugins do much less than the stand-alone app versions. I use Neutron and Nectar, and both are useless in FCPX. You need to export audio files and take them to an NLE. FCPX's lack of audio support is pathetic. It's major downfall. And I love FCPX, just not for serious audio work.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 12 Oct 2020 12:32 #110443

• tom.dallal@gmail.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It is troubling, alas. And truly remarkable that, ten years into FCPX, one should have to purchase a third-party app to do a proper AAF export. So, purchase X2Pro to export, first, then rent/purchase (and learn!) Pro Tools if I am toi maximize my productiviey and audiuo quality, even for shorts such as I am currently making? Has anyone hounded Apple to get its act together and, at a bare minimum, make it effortless to export AAF files? Any advantage to Logic as DAW to your mind, anyone? Dialogue Match pluc in and its utility for what I am doing laterly suggests Pro Tools maybe a wider course/ Learning curve for a total DAW newbie? Best learning resource? Is there a Ripple equivalent for Pro Tools (or Logic), for example? Thanks.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 13 Oct 2020 03:22 #110449

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Just like about everyone else, I suffer from the lack of audio capabilities from FCPX (and like Ben I LOVE FCPX). Every time there's a major upgrade, my hopes are high and I get disappointed.

This being said, X2Pro only works well with Pro Tools, which is a powerful DAW and industry standard in sound editing. In music production they use a variety of other DAWs. Apple Logic is great and the fact that FCPX is not communicating well with Apple Logic is... unsettling at last.

So in theory it would be advisable for your to learn Pro Tools, they have Pro Tools First which is free, but if I remember well you can't import AAF with that version. And the software is expensive and possibly not the friendliest.

Apple Logic is a great software, I recently worked with a guy who was using Digital Performer. Many many DAWs out there, more than NLEs. They're all great.

Some good news though: I'm going to write an article soon for fcp.co on how you can export from FCPX to ANY DAW using a third-party called AATRanslator. It's a bit of a wild ride to set up (you need a Windows emulator) but once it works, it's rock solid and the fun can start.

Last edit: by manoucho.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 13 Oct 2020 05:06 #110450

• epdfilm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
You can also send your audio via FCP X XML to Resolve/Fairlight and mix there or export to AAF for Pro Tools and/or Logic Pro X

Last edit: by epdfilm.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 13 Oct 2020 12:10 #110455

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Export XML.
Set "Metadata View" to Audio.
Open that XML in Logic Pro X.
Logic can also send back directly to FCPX when done.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 13 Oct 2020 13:59 #110457

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: Export XML.
Set "Metadata View" to Audio.
Open that XML in Logic Pro X.
Logic can also send back directly to FCPX when done.

Does that really work ?? Last time i tried (couple of years ago) it was really broken , the XML would open but things were out of sync etc

Did they fix it ?

Last edit: by manoucho.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 14 Oct 2020 14:10 #110468

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
It has worked for quite some time now. It does have some stability issues with really massive projects. But I've had pretty good success the past few years. Although I hate that it generates a ton of new audio files on the way back. Not perfect, but yes, it has worked for a long time now.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 15 Oct 2020 14:11 #110491

• tom.dallal@gmail.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sounds from what you wrote above that one may, by now, reasonably endeavor to import FCPX .fcxml into Logic with a reasonably sized project. As I am just starting out with more seriously ambitious dialogue and overall sound editing and mixing, including the most basic knowledge of how to work with any DAW (I have only used Hindenburg, for podcasting, and at a pretty basic level but also have learned to work with Izotope [RX, Nectar anda bit of Netron]). I intuit that a rock solid, efficient and properly synced, FCPX to DAW and back to FCPX workflow will be key, right from the start, and I want to nail this down first. If Logic export back into FCPX produces extra tracks worthy of hate (!), I am loathe to go there. Accordingly, and unless someone may have figured out how to efficiently deal with the 'extra tracks' hassle/mess, it sounds like FCPX to X2P Pro to Pro Tools may be where to invest learning time/energy to focus in creating my coveted rock solid workflow. Any best practice advice for, or nasty hitches with, getting finalized Pro Tools mix back into FCPX and properly synced, and also any resources that anyone can recommend for, an ambitious newbie taking this elephant on wil be greatly appreciated.

can one use Izotope assistants within FCPX? 15 Oct 2020 18:48 #110493

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Tom

FCPX -> X2Pro -> ProTools is indeed rock solid. You can do a film for Hollywood with it.

The key is to learn how to use Roles perfectly. Then you'll get relatively clean ProTool files, clean them a bit and it will work very well.

If however you'd want to use another DAW, X2Pro + AATranslator is something I have not yet fully tested but it is working nevertheless so far, and I still have to write an article about it for the FCP.co community as soon as I find the time.

• Page: