fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 03 Nov 2020 12:59 #110684

Hi there.

So I've tried every thing I did in the past so assume it goes beyond a container issue. I was able to recover some files off the SanDisk card which has the size for video content but not sure of the extent of the damage.

First stop I usually go to is to see if VLC is able to preview it (wish Mpeg Stream Clip still existed), then try Resolve, then go to After Effects which has often worked. Parts would be corrupt but I have been able to export to good bits of video.

Is anyone aware of a raw video file viewer to see what's actually going on or some software to recover the video like for instance Izotope for audio?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 03 Nov 2020 14:00 #110687

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 563
I'm not aware of anything that repairs the damaged data of video files. iZotope RX filters and corrects poorly recorded content, it does not repair damage data in a file. But I'm sure someone here knows of an app that could help. I'm interested to see, myself.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 03 Nov 2020 14:14 #110692

Thank you.

I was more hoping to be able to isolate some video information and export that like iZotope is able to work with a sound file but thanks for your feedback.

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 03 Nov 2020 15:03 #110698

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Sounds like you need to switch to a Data Recovery App not a video player/NLE.
You might be able to recover some data from corrupt SD card. It may not contain all the info you need, but most data recovery programs first make a bit to bit copy of the entire card. There should be large files with the video content and "sometimes" this results in usable files.
Data Recovery will also attempt to restore corrupt directories that may prevent opening files. If successful, you may be able to copy to new drive with full or partial meta-data and the actual video capture files. YMMV, but I have only been partially successful in the past.
Best of Luck, Greg

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 04 Nov 2020 10:28 #110710

Thanks for this Greg.

Sorry I should have been more clear, these files are actually what I recovered from the SD card, it's reading them which is an issue.

Thanks for your feedback.

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 04 Nov 2020 14:35 #110716

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
So you're in a very bad position. You have video data files that are corrupted. So the question is; does anything exist that can help repair, or salvage usable parts, of a damaged video data file that nothing else will read?

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 05 Nov 2020 03:47 #110720

Yes. As I mentioned before I have used After Effects in the past a few years back and was able to extract the usable portions of footage.

It is an interesting situation for me, need to figure out a usable work flow for any future issues.

Repair Damaged MP4 Files - OSMO Action 05 Nov 2020 13:10 #110722

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
It is a very rare thing for this to happen.

• Page: