fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCP Update

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 01:46 #110915

• caliza2807
  • caliza2807's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys,

I discovered an old laptop in storage which is running an old OS and FCP X 10.0.9. Is there a way I can update the FCP software without losing my current projects?

All my media is stored on an external hard drive but the actual projects/edits are all in the application on the laptop. I’ve backed up the current version of 10.0.9 as a ZIP file.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 14:30 #110919

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
What do you mean by "...are all in the application"? Libraries contain your projects and edits, not the application itself. Where are the Libraries? Back them up, and then update them.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 17:28 #110921

• Daniel Rutledge
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.
  • Thank you received: 9
I think that 10.0.9 predates the existence of Libraries. If I remember correctly (and I really may not) there was some sort of "now or never" upgrade, where Apple basically said "convert all of your old projects now, or they are lost forever." I'm sketchy on the details. I'm pretty sure the default location for all the project info is in your Movies folder. There should be two folders, Events and Projects. All the info for everything should be there, unless you chose a different storage location for it. Anyway, maybe try exporting XMLs from 10.0.9. I think you could export an XML of the events in that version. Either way, you can probably save all the timelines. Not sure if any of this is true or helpful.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 17:52 #110923

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 749
What computer is this? What OS is out running? If all your media and libraries are external they will not be effected by updating the OS. As Daniel said pre-10.1 projects and events can no longer be updated with recent versions. It may be possible depending on what the computer and what OS it’s running.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 18:00 #110924

• Daniel Rutledge
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.
  • Thank you received: 9
I just want to be clear: If you have a machine that runs FCPX 10.0.9, open the old projects there and export XMLs. IDK if they will open in a newer version of FCPX, but it is the only thing I can think of.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 19:11 #110925

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534

Daniel Rutledge wrote: I think that 10.0.9 predates the existence of Libraries.

There were always Libraries. And yes, there were 2 or 3 times we were warned that specific versions would not update Libraries from much older versions.

But an XML export will do about as much as you can hope to get. It should get you 90% upgraded. I'd export an XML from a project, send that to someone with FCP 10.5, see if they can open it. You don't need the media.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

FCP Update 18 Nov 2020 22:26 #110927

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370
In addition to XML exports, I would also suggest exporting any current timelines as ProRes 422. That way if everything else fails you have a high-resolution low-compression timeline, plus your media.

If the hardware dates to 10.0.9, the hard drives could fail any day. Some studies have shown after 5 years, HDD failure rate is 20% per year.

• Page: