fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: iPhone 12 Pro HDR to Youtube: video washed out

iPhone 12 Pro HDR to Youtube: video washed out 18 Nov 2020 15:33 #110920

• flaminghick
  • flaminghick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So I threw myself in the deep end by shooting a project with HDR on my iPhone 12 pro, not realizing what I'd be getting into.

I learned how to change the library settings and project settings to match the HDR footage (wide gamut and Rec.2020 HLG). From what I understand, when I export it, Youtube is supposed to transcode an HDR version to match while having an HDR version available as well. Here's where the problem lies...I could not get the Youtube version to not be washed out.

I tried uploading Prores, converting to 8 bit, using the HDR Tools effect in the timeline, but every tutorial I followed ended up with the same result; slightly washed out, slightly darker, slightly less contrasty video on Youtube.

The only solution I found was so change the color space in compressor to Rec 709, then color correct it again after to restore the brightness and contrast. There's gotta be a better way. I really don't care about finishing in HDR, I'd rather just have a good looking SDR export. Is there a workflow to export in SDR while preserving most of the look?

If anyone has any insight into this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

iPhone 12 Pro HDR to Youtube: video washed out 18 Nov 2020 17:36 #110922

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
Isn't there some internal tone mapping for that? Maybe on export? I'm sure I've seen a screengrab showing an option.
Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: