fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Better audio features for FCPX?

Better audio features for FCPX? 18 Nov 2020 21:04 #110926

• SteezyLearning
  • SteezyLearning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all,

I just made a post on Apple communities and it seems like they don't like it when you complain about something:

discussions.apple.com/thread/252061080

I can't seem to see my post anymore. I think someone is butthurt there. It was regarding a request for better audio tools, what people that I've talked to have been saying about the lack of audio tools and some solutions to deal with odd workflow that FCPX offers. Doing something like bussing is not possible in FCPX and using solutions like the Audified plugin doesn't support it as per the way FCPX handles audio:

services.audified.com/support?action=detail&id=46

I would like a node based bussing system if making tracks isn't possible. Something akin to what Resolve does with color/fusion.

To this day, roundtripping to and from FCPX is a real nightmare and I haven't found a good solution. Everywhere I look there's low ratings and complaints on hacks, conversion tools etc. Even the guys are Ripple Training complain about how Logic handles XML files.

Does anyone have any good tips and/or videos that they can share regarding handling audio in post for FCPX? I've searched everywhere and haven't found a seamless solution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Better audio features for FCPX? 19 Nov 2020 08:44 #110930

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
Maybe we will see something new at the Apple presentation at the FCPX Global Virtual Summit Today
Administrator

Better audio features for FCPX? 19 Nov 2020 10:27 #110933

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I hope so. I would be happy if they took down my post because they were announcing something as opposed to taking it down because it's another person complaining about the terrible audio tools.

Better audio features for FCPX? 19 Nov 2020 15:26 #110936

• BCH
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
For my short films, I work audio directly in FcpX because XML to logic don't work correctly. The only pro solution is to go through X2pro audio converter and then protool or any DAW.

Better audio features for FCPX? 19 Nov 2020 21:07 #110941

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah I've seen that solution. I'm afraid to pull the trigger on that since there's nothing but negative reviews about it. Really wish that Apple would look into a solution like what FMOD does for video game audio engines.

Better audio features for FCPX? 19 Nov 2020 22:34 #110942

• BCH
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Do you use compound clips in your project? I did some test this evening with the WIP editing of a 10mn short film, with FCPX v10.5, logic v10.6, fcpxml v1.9. The import of fcpxml in logic is not perfect because there are errors on the timecode of many compound clips. But all you have to do is make a copy of the project and on this copy all select and detach audio to break compound clip and then everything is back to fine. The fcpxml of this version correctly imports the audio into a logic project.

Better audio features for FCPX? 20 Nov 2020 04:17 #110947

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
i do use compound clips (probably too much to be honest as I've been having issues with effects hierarchy and slowing my projects right down). I'm not a logic user but it looks like I'll have to. I'm a ProTools user (and trying to ween off of it).

I'll try your method and see how it works. I remember seeing one of the guys from Ripple Training do something like this. Is this what you're talking about?:

Better audio features for FCPX? 20 Nov 2020 19:55 #110957

• BCH
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
When I was talking about a compound clip, it's exactly the synchronized clip I was talking about. I use an external recorder for my sound on boompole. It's those syncro clips that are not correctly exported via fcpxml with the latest versions FCP and Logic. And you just have to break them with the detach audio function to get them all back in order. Then in logic I have to do some cleaning up and mute/hide the camera sound tracks (which are muted in my fcpx synchro clip but still exported to fcpxml) Then the first thing I do in logic is to select everything and right click and lock SMPTE position to be able to rearrange the sounds in different tracks without losing the synchro. Then from fcpx I export a master in proxy prores. I import this movie file in my logic project. I choose to separate audio. Then I check the synchronization of the whole project with this proxy movie sound track and then I mute it and I can start mixing. That's how I mixed the sound of a short film 2 years ago.

On the other hand I mixed the sound of my last short film directly into FCPX and the result is just as good. There are exactly the same sound plug-in as in logic. It's just the workflow that is different. There's some know-how to be acquired. The only thing that is not possible in fcpx compared to a DAW is sidechain compression with another track.

Better audio features for FCPX? 21 Nov 2020 07:23 #110962

• spurratic
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
In my opinion the most elegant way to take Audio from FCPX to a DAW is to export an XML and then use Vordio to create a Reaper Project.
The workflow is great, and the Reaper project contains everything perfectly sync'd with handles, with volume automation, etc. Its all there and Reaper is a fully capable DAW. I prefer it to ProTools and Logic just by layout, ease of use, speed, etc.

Better audio features for FCPX? 21 Nov 2020 09:30 #110965

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Reaper is an absolute legit DAW. I don't see ProTools lasting for much longer compared to the other great, cheap/non subscription DAWs out there. I just wonder what the video post capabilities are like. I'm sure they're up to snuff, but I'd have to relearn a whole new DAW. I already know 1 really well, 2 with some comfort, but 3 would just be too much for me. One thing that I find ProTools i the king of is it's editing capabilities. Track based is great, but FCPX isn't designed that way. It's a whole new paradigm. I love it, but as you can see it causes a new set of problems. As I've mentioned before, something along the lines of Resolves node based system might work.

I'm still waiting for any new news regarding FCPX since the conference is going on. I doubt there would be any mention of audio tools/improvements. But who knows? Maybe something small might come up.

Better audio features for FCPX? 21 Nov 2020 17:16 #110973

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
At the Apple session, they said nothing new, only repeated what you all saw at the Apple Event introducing M1 Macs. Oh, they did officially announce the X has been dropped from the name, so we're back to simply Final Cut Pro. It was a presentation geared towards average Mac consumers, not folks who make a living with this software. Super-mega-lame... very disappointed... If we don't see a major upgrade by mid-February (Mardi Gras here in Louisiana) I may rethink my platform of choice.

Better audio features for FCPX? 22 Nov 2020 00:21 #110981

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is very disappointing to someone who's still making choices of which NLE to stick with. Audio, I have chosen (no choice since it's been the one I've used for years, but am slowly moving to another platform as learning a new one takes time). If they're going the consumer route, would you expect anything less? They did this to pros in 2011. There's a much bigger market in the "YouTuber/content on steroids" crowd (Steroids as in YouTubers attempting to color grade their own footage.... guys like me basically).

There's a category that I use called "Prosumer". Don't know if it's common, as I've only heard one other person use that term. I would consider myself one as such. I may not use Genlock, but timecode makes sense to me. I may not delve deep into features like Resolve Color Management, but I've heard of REC.709. Those things aren't things your average content creator uses. It would make life so much easier if it was accessible to guys like me, but price/performance wise it costs too much (money and time... mostly money).

You would think that software like this would light a fire under their @sses: filmora.wondershare.com/

Anyway, thanks everyone for your responses.

Last edit: by SteezyLearning.

Better audio features for FCPX? 22 Nov 2020 00:38 #110982

• spurratic
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I realize everyone works with different workflows and in different organizations.....but I am a professional Sound Designer and Editor and I have no problems working with Audio in FCPX. I suppose its what you make of it.

When I need more control I take the Audio out to a DAW but I can accomplish what I need within FCPX. I don't need faders, I don't need a mixer panel, if I had a couple of wishes it would be the ability to side chain compress......but I don't always understand the limitations everyone is upset about.

Better audio features for FCPX? 22 Nov 2020 02:28 #110984

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
It would need to be Role based, and that's how what you want to have would be achieved. So you're talking about the same thing. A Roles based mixer with busses and so we have one lane to keyframe everything of a Role, but NOT lose video editing as a trade off.

Better audio features for FCPX? 22 Nov 2020 02:39 #110985

• SteezyLearning
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I understand what they're talking about. I also now know all the quasi hacks/workarounds that have to happen in order to get it somewhat close. You're right that everyone has different workflows and that's really the point. It may work for you, but that's anecdotal. Why would so many people, threads, posts in forums complain about it so much for so long? Apple obviously isn't listening.

Should Apple tell them to suck it up? No as that's not how a business should run. That's how market share dwindles. It would ruin them and that's how other software start to make ground. Adobe jumped on that as soon as X was released and made huge gains in the market. Apple has slowly climbed back but now, there's another serious competitor in town: Resolve (Personally I think the editing and audio need work there too, but at least they made big improvements in this latest beta. Hell, they bought an entire company just to start solving audio problems).

It's obvious that more attention is needed in the audio tools part of FCP. Bussing and side chain compressing are a huge deal to audio pros. It's probably the number one most requested feature. Why haven't they fixed that in FCP? Hell, why haven't they made it easy getting audio OUT of FCP? They've had tons of time to think about it. Honestly, if Apple made it easy/accurate to roundtrip, this thread probably wouldn't exist. Especially since they've had an app built specifically for it (Soundtrack) and currently own another app that's super popular and more than capable that's ready for professional post audio (Logic).

• Page: