fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mac OS BigSur and FCP 10.5 locks up whole system during export

Mac OS BigSur and FCP 10.5 locks up whole system during export 19 Nov 2020 05:43 #110929

• marlzsimmons
  • marlzsimmons's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Problem I'm facing is as follows, any ideas on fixes would be much appreciated :)

1. I upgraded to FCP 10.5 while using Mac OS Catalina. After updating, I experienced random freezes whilst editing 4K ProRes footage (Atomos 4K ProRes 422). During the freezing, FCPX CPU was showing 300%+ usage. After multiple attempts I thought perhaps I try upgrade to Big Sur in hopes that would help. It seemed to only get worse!

2. I did a fresh install of Big Sur and installed a fresh FCPX 10.5 to see if it would help and to rule out any software issues but now, although editing seems fine (even with RED 6K ProRes) instead now, when exporting a simple 1920x1080 mov for Vimeo, the Mac locks up and I can't do anything else, even simple browsing while the export takes place.

I checked activity monitor and during the export it shows FCP CPU usage at OVER 1000 % CPU then fluctuating between 700-900%.

Has anyone come across this issue? If so, any fixes?

Many thanks,

Marlon

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Mac OS Big Sur
FCPX 10.5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mac OS BigSur and FCP 10.5 locks up whole system during export 19 Nov 2020 11:39 #110934

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 749
Fresh install? You wiped the drive, migrated users, and reinstalled applications?

Mac OS BigSur and FCP 10.5 locks up whole system during export 19 Nov 2020 23:19 #110943

• marlzsimmons
  • marlzsimmons's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Tom, That's correct! I backed up everything, wiped the drive and did a clean install via a bootable USB drive followed by installing only FCPX, Adobe cloud apps (only 4 of them- AE, PS, AI, ID) and a couple of Coremelt tracking plugins which I d/l from website after the BigSur launch and are meant to be Big Sur/10.5 ready (need these for a current project, so pointless without them).

I have been a Mac user and FCPx/FCP7 user since 2007 and although each subsequent Mac OS and FCPX release has had their minor bugs here and there, this is the first time I have come across such problem. I'm currently editing projects and basically walking away during exports, which I've never had to do in the past. I've attached a screenshot of the activity monitor during a recent export - showing 900% CPU.
Attachments:

Mac OS BigSur and FCP 10.5 locks up whole system during export 19 Nov 2020 23:40 #110944

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 749
Are you using Color Finale or Cinema Grade? I think they need updating.

• Page: