fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer

Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer 21 Nov 2020 04:46 #110961

• richbatsford
  • richbatsford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Folks

Newbie here, grateful for any help. I dont seem able to make this cross dissolve longer than a second even tho it seems like there is plenty of time in the two clips to do so. Thanks, Rich
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer 21 Nov 2020 09:13 #110963

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
It "seems like there is plenty of time"? How can you tell? Actually, it's easy. Switch to the precision editor. Double-click the cut point.
support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/us...itor-verc1fac344/mac

Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer 21 Nov 2020 12:14 #110969

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 749
It doesn’t matter how much media is in the timeline. What matters is how much media for each clip is not in the timeline, how much extra media you have, usually called handles. Zoom is n a bit and open the precision editor by double clicking the edit point. Here you’ll see much handles you have and you can slip the shots to lengthen the handles and lengthen the transition.

Last edit: by Tom Wolsky.

Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer 21 Nov 2020 13:14 #110970

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
If you're dead absolutely out of media to use one trick I use is to speed ramp slower a bit of the handles. The dissolve masks the change and it doesn't get the rest of the timeline all out of whack, timing wise.

Is there a reason I cant make this cross dissolve longer 23 Nov 2020 00:00 #110996

• richbatsford
  • richbatsford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks everyone for the help. You're quite right of course - there wasnt enough of a handle. There had been before but I must have lost it during editing. Problem solved by reducing the speed of the clip down to 80% to create the handle (its just rain falling so it looks fine). Thanks again, Rich

• Page: