fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Storage Locations Dilema - SSD,NVME,Spinning RAID

FCPX Storage Locations Dilema - SSD,NVME,Spinning RAID 26 Nov 2020 11:31 #111044

hello all,

This has been something that has bothered me for a while, I couldn't find anyone else asking the exact same question. Here we go:

What is the most efficient way to setup multiple harddrives for the fastest fcpx usage in terms of Diskspeed.

My setup:

512gb SSD for main drive where fcpx resides
512gb SSD in external USB3.0 enclosure for Media shot with XAVC-S & drone footage h.264/5
4 drive internal Apple RAID 4TB WD Red drives (old projects and storage of not currently working on projects)
new 2TB nvme internal (just installed).

How would you guys setup the fcpx storage locations for:
-Media
-Motion Content
-Cache

I guess I also wonder if the nvme is fast enough to have fcpx created media and cache on the same drive, and if I should put the library on it as well or if that is too much. I could put the library on the 512 ext. SSD.

Looking forward to your guys' expertise. thx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Storage Locations Dilema - SSD,NVME,Spinning RAID 26 Nov 2020 15:30 #111053

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 563
I'd not separate things out, should not be necessary at all.  Leave it all in the Library on the RIAD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: