fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 16:29 #111171

• dgbarar
  • dgbarar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

Anyone else notice that Freeze Frame is broken in FCPX 10.5? Locate cursor to last frame of clip and select "Add Freeze Frame". Nothing is added. I have confirmed in preferences that Freeze Frame and Stills are set to 4 seconds.

Other than export current frame I have not been able to find a work around.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Don Barar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 16:50 #111173

It's working for me. Are you sure you're on the last frame? Looks like this

Attachments:

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:03 #111178

Hi Don, adding to what Tom says:

Do not use the Down Arrow to go to the last frame of a clip. Down Arrow brings you to the first frame of the next clip. If there is no next clip, the viewer will show an image of the last clip with a grey saw-tooth bar overlay, but that is NOT the last frame of that clip. You know it's not a real frame because the Inspector says there is nothing to inspect. That's also why the Freeze Frame command does not work on that image:

When you use the Down Arrow, you need to return one frame to see the last frame of the clip. The last frame of a clip has a filmstrip overlay, as Tom showed, and you know that it's a real frame because the Inspector shows its information. Here, the Freeze Frame command will work:

An easier way to go to the last frame of a clip is to select the clip with X, then press SHIFT+O:

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:30 #111179

• dgbarar
Hi Ron and Tom:

I know that I am on last frame of the clip other wise the "Add Freeze Frame" would be greyed out on the menu.

In any case, I tried your suggestion of going to the last frame with Shift+O. That took me to the last frame. However, when I selected "Add Freeze Frame" it performed a trim to the cursor. I also tried CNTR+F. Same behavior of trimming.

What I have not tried yet is updating the operating system from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur 11.0.1.

What operating system are you using?

Don Barar

Last edit: by dgbarar.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:37 #111180

Thank you for the feedback. I am on Big Sur, but this has worked on any other OS.

Instead of CTRL+F, you should use ALT+F to create a freeze-frame. If that does not work, I would refresh your FCP preferences and see if this solves the issue.

- Ronny

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:44 #111181

• dgbarar
Hi Ron and Tom:

Here is another unusual behavior with regards to freeze frame that I just discovered by accident.

If I select the clip that I want to add the freeze frame, go to the last frame with Shift+O, then select "Add Freeze Frame" I get the trimming behavior that I previously described.

However, if I keep the cursor in the same location, deselect the clip and no clips selected, maintaining the cursor in the same location, then select "Add Freeze Frame", then the adjustment layer above is trimmed and the correct freeze frame is added after the adjustment layer.

Very odd.

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:47 #111182

• dgbarar
Hi Ronny:

Sorry. I meant Option+F. I will try refreshing preferences.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 18:53 #111183

Hi Don,

All this is abnormal behavior that I cannot reproduce.

Can you try deleting your FCP preferences to see if this solves the issue?

- Ronny

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 19:28 #111184

• dgbarar
Hi Ron:

I deleted the preferences as you directed. This did not change the behavior. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the FCPX. This also did not change the behavior.

My next step is to update to operating system to Big Sur and see if this improves things.

BTW. Doing a search on the web shows that few others are having this problem.

I have had odd issues with the Apple Pro Applications in the past. Installing a fresh version of the operating systems has helped in the past.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 02 Dec 2020 20:09 #111185

Very interesting. I haven't found other posts about freeze frame issues in 10.5. I did find some older reports, where a corrupt project or corrupt media caused the freeze-frame problem. So I would be very interested to get feedback on your progress in resolving this issue. I hope that a fresh OS update will help!

- Ronny

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 00:14 #111191

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
Working fine here, also. Be careful, updating an OS version should normally only be done when the system is already healthy. I've seen bad things turn into horrid nightmares when an OS update was used to try to fix something broken.

Did it ever work correctly? If so, fix your current OS before upgrading it.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 02:29 #111200

• dgbarar
Hi All:

I think I have now found the source of the problem.

First, I installed a fresh cope of the operating system, Catalina 10.15.7. The behavior did not change.

I looked at my project again and noticed that I had inadvertently selected 30 FPS when the clips were 29.97 FPS.

So I decided to do an experiment with a new project that was 30 FPS and a clip that was 29.97 FPS. When I attempted to add a freeze frame I got the trimming behavior I described earlier.

Then I created a new project that was 29.97 FPS and inserted the same 29.97 FPS clip. This time when I added a freeze frame it worked as expected.

I then thought to myself what would happen if I copied the same 29.97 clip from the 30 FPS project time line and pasted it into the 29.97 FPS project time line. When I attempted to add a freeze frame in the 29.97 project time line I got the trimming.

Two conclusions:
  1. For Freeze Frame to work properly the project must have the exact frame rate as the clips--some multiple might also work but I have not tried that.
  2. One can not simply copy a 29.97 FPS clip from a 30 FPS project and paste into a 29.97 FPS project time line and expect freeze frame to work properly--it does not. FCPX does something to the 29.97 FPS clip once it has been inserted into a 30 FPS timeline.
Thank you to all of you that helped me in figuring this out.

Sincerely,

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 18:18 #111217

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
1 - Not for me, mixed frame rates work just fine.
2 - Works for me, copy, paste, freeze frame, works just fine.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 21:17 #111227

• dgbarar
Hi Ben:

Delighted this works for you. What version of MacOS and FCPX are you using?

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 21:33 #111229

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 03 Dec 2020 21:50 #111230

• dgbarar
Hi Ben:

You have the same versions of MacOS and FCPX that I am using. I tried again with a 30 FPS project and a 29.97 FPS clip. When I tried to add a freeze frame, I got the same trimming behavior that I earlier reported.

Wonder what's different between our systems????????????????????

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 06:20 #111241

dgbarar wrote: In any case, I tried your suggestion of going to the last frame with Shift+O. That took me to the last frame. However, when I selected "Add Freeze Frame" it performed a trim to the cursor. I also tried CNTR+F. Same behavior of trimming.

I have read this threat now several times and I can't figure out what's the exact behaviour you're describing (apart from that you can't get a freeze frame). I'm on Big Sur 11.0.1 and FCP 10.5 and freeze frame works absolutely fine here.

Maybe you're able to make a screen recording to demonstrate what you're seeing? I absolutely belief that freeze frame is not working for but I do not fully understand what you're describing is happening. If you're on the last frame there can't be a trim happening? Unless you have changed the keyboard layout, control-f is changing the browser display to 'favourites', nothing to do with freeze frame? (option-f is the default shortcut for 'add freeze frame)

Best, Carsten

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 15:39 #111245

• dgbarar
Hi Carsten:

Here is a URL to a short video to YouTube showing the freeze frame behavior I am seeing. Background on this video:
  1. 30 FPS project.
  2. Clip is 29.97 FPS.
  3. Cursor is on last frame. Note. When you select Shift+O, FCPX locates the cursor to the beginning of the last frame.
  4. Select "Add Freeze Frame" from the menu or with Option+F.
  5. Last frame is trimmed. No Freeze Frame is added.
Try a similar experiment to see if you get the same thing.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 17:06 #111246

I can't reproduce the problem in the current OS, but I have heard of a similar problem, where the freeze isn't added but the clip is cut. Does that happen to you when you do a freeze in the middle of the clip?

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 22:05 #111248

Thanks for the screen rec Don.

I created a test project with a 29.97 HD clip and both a 29.97 and 30 fps project. In neither I get your behaviour but freeze frame works as expected.

Because you reinstalled OS and FCP and cleared the pref I do not see this being the problem.
Neither do I think it's a FCP bug because we can't reproduce the problem. And if it would be a bug people like Tom, Ben or Ronnie would know about it, freeze frame being such a standard feature.

None of this makes you any wiser because it's happening on your machine.

If it would be me I would look at 2 areas: Are you running any keyboard enhancing software or any other helper app that potentially could screw with your FCP command sets. I'm thinking along this line because what you're seeing looks like the 'Trim end' function, option-]. So is any 3rd party software causing this potential mismatch of FCP functions?
or
3rd party fx packages installed on your machine. Could any of those cause it? removing them and seeing if the problem persist could eliminate that possibility.

Other than these I'm at a loss to what could cause this problem, Sorry!