fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!

TOPIC: Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 22:08 #111249

• dgbarar
  • dgbarar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Tom:

I attempted your experiment on a 30 FPS project, 29.97 FPS clip, placing the cursor in the middle of the clip and then selecting Freeze Frame.  What happened was that the clip was split and the frame was "trimmed out".  The "trimmed out" frame could be recovered by simply extending the clip.

I tried the same experiment with 29.97 FPS project, 29.97 FPS clip, placed the cursor in the middle of the clip and then selected freeze frame.  The clip was split and a freeze frame added between the clips.  This was as expected.  What was really interesting is that first split clip had the frame that was to be frozen trimmed out.  I am not certain if this is normal behavior.

Don Barar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dgbarar.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 22:30 #111250

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Cofe,

I am not running any keyboard enhancing software on this late 2016 MBP16.  But since I am selecting freeze frame from either the menu or OPTION+F and not seeing any difference not sure keyboard would be an issue.  Unless...........

Also, the only addons to FCPX application are: FujiFim LUTs, Leeming Pro LUTs, and Color Finale trial version that is past date.  At one point this all worked normally.  I have tried clips without the LUTS, but this does not change the behavior.  I have yet to un-install Color Finale trial version to see if this resolves the issue.

It is baffling.  Other than uninstalling the Color Finale trial I am not certain what to try next short of installing BigSur.  But I am waiting for 11.1

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 22:37 #111251

I don't think the OS is the problem as Ben has the same versions as you and doesn't have the problem.

ColorFinale2 trial could be the problem as the trial version could be an older version of ColorFinale2. I have the latest paid version and it works fine and doesn't cause any freeze frame problems.

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 04 Dec 2020 22:47 #111252

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Cofe:

I un-installed the Color Finale trial but that did not resolve my issue.

Good to read that you like Color Finale.  So do I (I like how the color curves work to come up with a better white balance) and am considering purchasing.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 17 Dec 2020 15:15 #111555

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi COFE:

As you predicted, MacOS 11.1 (Big Sur) did not resolve trimming of the last frame when selecting Add Freeze Frame. So this remains a mystery as to what is going on with my particular situation. I am beginning to wonder if this is camera dependent FujiFilm X-T3 issue.

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 17 Dec 2020 21:57 #111566

Now this is what you call annoying! Sorry Don.
Though the idea about it being footage related got me thinking.
A. It's easy to test whether it's the Fuji footage by importing other footage not from that camera. Do you get normal freeze frame behaviour? If yes it's not FCP or your installation.
B. It might have something to do with how Fuji implements the Long GOP. I'm not a super tech expert but I know that compression can work in a way that the codec saves one full frame and then the next x number of frames it only writes down the changes to that frame. After the x long seq it starts again. Maybe with the Fuji codec a particular frame can't be calculated and therefor causes FCP behaviour. Maybe some more tech savvy folks can chip in here? So maybe try the following: place cursor anywhere in clip in the project you have the problem, then try freeze frame. If it doesn't work undo and move one frame forward and try again. Repeat until you may have one frame where it works. If that happens then the codec could be the problem. If it doesn't work after maybe 30 frames than we're back at square one :-(
Regardless maybe the solution is that you have to transcode to Prores (Transcode optimise) for clips you need to have a freeze frame on.
Wish I know the answer..
Cheers, Carsten 

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 18 Dec 2020 00:57 #111567

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Carsten:

Thank you for the suggestions.  Here is what I have tried:

1. Different camera.  Unfortunately, the only camera that I have that is 4K is the FujiFilm X-T3.  I thought about using my iPhone 8.  But that is a true 30 FPS camera--at least according to information panel on FCPX.  If anyone can send me a true 30 FPS HEVC UHD Long GOP clip from a camera other than FujiFiim I will be happy to test out this theory.
  2. I did your test of placing the cursor in the middle of a X-T3 UHD Long GOP clip to see what happens when I Add Freeze Frame.  If if it trims out the frame, advance to the next frame and repeat.  I did this for about 30 frames and all I got was the trimming behavior.  As an alternative to this test is to try 30 FPS, UHD, HEVC, All I and see what happens.
  3. I currently transcode (optimize) my HEVC clips upon importing into FCPX.  This is where I am running into the issue with the trimming behavior.  What I have not tried is transcoding to ProRes in Compressor, importing into FCPX, and then seeing what happens.  Even if this works, transcoding in Compressor presents a different problem.  It turns out that transcoding UHD HEVC Long GOP X-T3 files in Compressor results in shifting the histograms to the right.  See the my topic--https://www.fcp.co/forum/14-compressor/33728-apple-compressor-does-not-properly-transcode-10-bit-420-files-from-a-fujifilm-x
I'll report on All I and a Compressor transcoded ProRes in a my next post.

Best,

Don Barar

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 18 Dec 2020 01:28 #111568

Ok I suggest you import footage from your iPhone. It doesn't really matter what FPS it has. If that iPhone footage behaves normally for freeze frame in either 29.97 or 30, then the problem is the Fuji footage.
If the iPhone footage shows the same trimming instead of freeze frame behaviour in either project then there is something wrong with your FCP installation.

Maybe there is some metadata in the Fuji footage that gets copied to the Prores optimised version as well, that is causing the misbehaviour? But the above test will give the best indication to whether it is Fuji or your installation?

Cheers, Carsten 

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 18 Dec 2020 02:35 #111574

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Carsten:

The iPhone footage behaves normally.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 18 Dec 2020 04:22 #111576

The plot thickens. I just downloaded a Fuji X-T3 clip which is HEVC UHD (3840x2160) 23.97 FPS (from DPReview side).
This clip shows normal freeze frame behaviour in a 23.97, 29.97 and 30 FPS project.

Can you upload a small Fuji X-T3 clip in your 29.97 format for me to test?

PS the behaviour you described earlier that if you add a freeze frame in the middle of the clip and the frame you're 'freezing' is cut is normal behaviour. FCP replaces the chosen frame with the freeze, it doesn't add the freeze. So the result is ...frame 3, freeze frame 4, frame 5 ..... NOT ...frame 3, frame 4, freeze frame 4, frame 5 .....

Cheers, Carsten 

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 00:01 #111598

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Karsten:

Attached is a 1 second, 29.97 FPS, HLG, HEVC, UHD, Long GOP file from an FujiFilm X-T3 for your review and experimentation

Sincerely,

Don Barar
Attachments:

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 00:14 #111599

No attachment. Try something like Dropbox or WeTransfer. If you WeTransfer send it to yourself and post the link here.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 01:39 #111601

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have tried attaching a 28.5 MB zip file that contains the clip.  It shows up as an attachment but when I select submit, the attachment disappears.  Information on how to add attachments has allowed extensions as .zip.  Instructions also states as follows: "Maximum File Size: 78.1 MB Maximum Image File Size: 7.8 MB".  Not sure why this is worded as such.  Can there be a 28.5 MB zip file attachment?

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 01:46 #111602

sorry Don still nothing attached.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 01:46 #111603

actually got the attachment from this post

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 01:48 #111604

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Karsten:

So you now have the attachment?

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 01:52 #111605

Yes I have AND I can confirm now the behaviour you're seeing with FUJI X-T3 footage.

Your FUJI X-T3 clip in a 30 FPS project and trying to add a freeze frame in the middle of the clip shows the fault you're described all a long. FCP doesn't add the freeze frame but only only cuts out the frame you're trying to freeze.
So this is a bug!

And it only happens in a project of 30 FPS, not in 29.97 or 23.98!
And it doesn't matter whether it's a HDR or SDR project, only the FPS causes the problem

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt.

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 02:09 #111606

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Karsten:

Thank you for confirming.

Don

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 02:14 #111607

Also submitted a bug report to Apple

Freeze Frame Broken in FCPX 10.5 19 Dec 2020 05:15 #111608

• dgbarar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Karsten:

Thank you for submitting a bug report to Apple.

Don