fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III.

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 02 Dec 2020 16:39 #111172

Hello! I'm encountering something extremely frustrating that I would be most grateful if you could help me out on. 

I've been using Final Cut Pro X for my YouTube channel, and I recently upgraded my camera to a Sony A7 III. The thing is that though the camera is great and everything, when I upload my footage into the software, the color ends up changing, by which I mean that:

First attachment: ibb.co/NLKfdXN - Seen in Finder.
Second attachment: ibb.co/HPp6Pd1 - FCPX.
Third attachment: ibb.co/vZ9dkZf - Finder again.
Fourth: ibb.co/fqBcCGx - FCPX.
Fifth:  ibb.co/41fbpdV - Seen in Premiere Pro.

What is going on???

Any assistance would be incredibly helpful - This is driving me nuts!
V.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Victortanws.

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 02 Dec 2020 16:50 #111174

Hi Victor, welcome to the forums. If you have been shooting HLG with your A7iii, this video will help you:

Note: you can shoot HLG 2020 or HLG Rec709 with the Sony. Adjust the override option accordingly.

-Ronny

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 02 Dec 2020 17:03 #111175

Ronny, thank you so much!! I will check this ASAP!

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 02 Dec 2020 17:17 #111176

I'm not sure if that worked in entirety but then again I'm also not entirely sure if I understand this camera. Will pop back when it is a more reasonable hour on my part with some settings. Also, is this something you'd have to do every single time or am I missing something here...?

For now, some uploads.

ibb.co/K53pWkX - No change. ibb.co/B3Mt1wX - Subjected to the change provided in the video that you posted. ibb.co/yXwRRVg - As seen in Quicktime.
Thank you and have a good evening,
V.

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 02 Dec 2020 17:23 #111177

No problem. It seems to work for you, although there is still a colour difference between Final Cut and Quicktime player. It would be good to know exactly which recording setting you use in the A7iii. If you are not sure, you can upload a short original clip so we can assist you further.

Have a great evening!

- Ronny

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 03 Dec 2020 15:56 #111212

Hello again!

I used two main picture profiles on my camera that I obtained from two separate YouTube videos, the former of which is: 

...Which gives us: 

Black level -15Gamma HLG3
Saturation +7
Color mode: 709
Color phase -2
Depth
R -2
G -1
B -2
C -2
M +2
Y -3
Detail -7

The latter of which is: 

Black level -10Gamma S Log 2
Saturation 0
Color mode:ITU 709 Matrix
Color phase 0
Depth
0 all
Detail -7

Admittedly I am not up to speed on things the technicalities of these settings, and neither have I a perfect understanding of the ways in which these settings change the camera.

I tried to upload a short original clip, but said clip ended up at 200mb (struggles of 4K). I have attached a screen recording, if that is acceptable. (Is it? Haha, I don't have enough knowledge of video to know). EDIT: I tried to upload the file, but am unsure about whether it managed to get uploaded. 

Thanks again for your kind assistance,
V.

Last edit: by Victortanws.

Color of clips changing in Final Cut Pro X - Using a Sony A7 III. 03 Dec 2020 16:26 #111213

Ah, so you have customized the internal settings in the camera. One uses the HLG3 setting, the other sLog2. You really should not mess with these settings until you really understand the technicalities behind the changes.

Anyway, this is a VERY long video that shows how you can process standard HLG3 in FCP: 

And this video shows you how to deal with standard sLog2: 

I think you should use sLog2 or sLog3 as your default recording format for now and just apply the default sLog LUT in fcpx, it is much easier to deal with than HLG.

- Ronny

• Page: