fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Importing problem 05 Dec 2020 07:30 #111258

I have a clip that I edited in Quicktime (cut some frames from beginning) and it is saved as an MOV file. I imported it into FCPX. I brought it into the timeline and you can hear the audio but the video only displays a single frame. The timeline shows all the frames but it is not playing them.

The clip does play correctly when I open it in Finder or LR classic.

If I drag the playhead across the clip none of the frames are displayed.

What have I done to cause this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ETdroneHome.

Importing problem 05 Dec 2020 13:50 #111259

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
What coded is the clip?
What is its total duration?
What frame size?
What Mac specs?

Are you using Better Performance or Better Playback in the Viewer's menu?

Importing problem 05 Dec 2020 13:59 #111260

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

ETdroneHome wrote: I have a clip that I edited in Quicktime (cut some frames from beginning) and it is saved as an MOV file. I imported it into FCPX. I brought it into the timeline and you can hear the audio but the video only displays a single frame. The timeline shows all the frames but it is not playing them...

The Quicktime Player's ability to trim video without re-encoding generally works well. But anytime using any software you trim a Long GOP codec without re-encoding the output, there's a possibility the file could be damaged. There are many variations of internal encoding format for those files. A no-encode trim is basically editing frames that don't exist in the middle of a GOP, then must perfectly reconstitute that GOP for the output.

In brief tests I've used Quicktime Player to trim HEVC files but I've seen a few cases where it doesn't work right. If this is HEVC there's probably a greater chance of a problem.

If you are running FCP 10.4.6 I don't remember the level of HEVC support but the clips I edited mostly worked, but I didn't pre-trim them with Quicktime Player. 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 had HEVC bugs which could cause hangs or mis-rendered clips in some cases. I think that was fixed in 10.4.9.

I'd suggest running 10.4.9 or 10.5, or importing the entire non-trimmed file to edit.

Importing problem 05 Dec 2020 20:53 #111265

Thanks for your interest in helping me. I am running FCP 10.4.10 on Mojave 10.14.6 QT is 10.5
The codec is liner pcm / H264 per Finder get info. The duration of the clip is 51 seconds. It was rendered as Apple ProRes 422 Rec 709 per FCP. It is the only thing in the project.
Better Quality and Optimized/original are checked.

I do not have the original clip. I looked in Time Machine and I trimmed and saved it before TM did a copy of the original. It works in LR and exporting it does not solve the problem

I opened this in iMovie and it works. I exported the iMovie as a file and imported it into FXP and same issue.

Would a copy of the clip/project help?

Importing problem 05 Dec 2020 22:17 #111266

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ETdroneHome wrote: ...I do not have the original clip. I looked in Time Machine and I trimmed and saved it before TM did a copy of the original. It works in LR and exporting it does not solve the problem

I opened this in iMovie and it works. I exported the iMovie as a file and imported it into FXP and same issue....

Normally when Quicktime saves a trimmed file it prompts you for a name, which is usually "untitled.mov". If you override that and manually enter the same filename you are already editing it says "filename already exists. Do you want to replace it?". If you then override that a 2nd time and select the "replace" button it will overwrite the original file. Normally you give a different name. Did you overwrite the file you were editing? Is it possible you still have the original file somewhere?

Verify you are running the latest Apple Pro Video Formats. In Mojave an later, that is done in System Preference>Software Updates. You can check the version of Pro Video Formats you are running by doing About This Mac>System Report>Software>Installations, scroll down and look for Pro Video Formats. I don't remember the last one for Mojave but System Preferences should give you an option to update if available.

If you play the file in Quicktime and do CMD+I, what codec, resolution, frame rate and data rate does it say?

Verify it plays OK using VLC. That is self-contained and doesn't use OS frameworks. Then transcode it using Handbrake using the "production max" preset. See if that will import OK in FCP.

Importing problem - now a much bigger problem 06 Dec 2020 05:09 #111271

I have tried all the things that you both have suggested to no avail. Handbrake, software is up today, works in VLC.

It seems I have a much bigger problem. None of my clips will import and play successfully. Clips I took a few months ago and a sample clip that I shot tonight will import but not play video. Audio seems to be OK but it is just background noise that I usually detach and delete when assembling the video.

The clips will all play correctly in Finder, LR, VLC, iMovie, QT, Handbrake before transcode and after.

The last time I recall using FCP is a couple of months ago.

So now how do I get this to FCP support?
Attachments:

Importing problem - solved 06 Dec 2020 06:18 #111272

I restart FCP and everything now works correctly.

I have never run into this before.

Thanks to all with your help.

Importing problem - solved 06 Dec 2020 11:49 #111274

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ETdroneHome wrote: I restart FCP and everything now works correctly...

Thanks for posting that conclusion. Had you previously re-started FCP and it didn't help? Or was this the first re-start? In general I recommend re-starting both MacOS and FCP as a 1st step.

My next recommendation would have been verify you have at least 20% free space on all drives, also to reset FCP preferences (item 11 on this list): support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

Last edit: by joema.

Importing problem - solved 06 Dec 2020 16:01 #111276

Joema
Another thank you to you for the support link. Maybe that should be made a sticky. Reading that gives me a look at your thought process to resolve the issue.
I did not restart Fcp as a potential solution. I started this project a few days ago as a test fun project and it worked. I deleted it with the intention of starting a new project which this was.

I also have used QT to trim unwanted portions of a clip before importing into LR to save HD space. That work flow has always worked. FCP has always been stable for me so I sort of minimized that possibility.

Again thanks.
Rich

• Page: