fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 10 Dec 2020 16:39 #111390

• DJMacT
  • DJMacT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi FCPX'ers
I have been trying to find a method to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes and I cannot find a solution. I'm hoping somebody has a method to do this. The situation is simple, I have a long clip with an effect applied. What I want to do is to be able to toggle the Effect off and on using a keyframe. This would be like checking and unchecking the Effect in the Video Effects Inspector. The effect has many parameters with keyframes and there is no one setting like "Opacity" or "Mix" I can use to turn off the effect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Don

FCPX 10.5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 11 Dec 2020 01:16 #111409

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
Since there's no single parameter to keyframe for this, I'd put a copy of the clip above itself, remove the effect from that top layer, cut the top layer up and delete where the effect should be.

BUT, what I'd do, is go back into Motion, put all of my layers into one Master Group, then publish the opacity of that Master Group.

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 11 Dec 2020 05:12 #111413

Another option is to Blade the clip in the timeline where you want the effect off/on switch to occur. Then in the inspector turn it on or off or on as needed.

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 11 Dec 2020 08:53 #111419

• arc
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 23

Larrie wrote: Another option is to Blade the clip in the timeline where you want the effect off/on switch to occur. Then in the inspector turn it on or off or on as needed.

That might end up being less tedious. Having said that key-frame editing in FCPX is not the best but it can be done.

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 11 Dec 2020 12:19 #111423

• DJMacT
All,
Thank you for your insights and ideas. The "Blade" approach is the best since the Effect includes transformations (position and scale) that need to be disabled. I am always surprised when I run into a missing capability that seems to obvious. Prior to posting I read the manual, searched help forums and the net...
Prost!
Don

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 01 May 2021 21:07 #114274

I also had this issue and the section named " Add keyframes automatically across a selected area" on this page support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/final-cut-pro/ver8e3f20ea/mac solved it for me. I wanted to apply an earthquake effect to a clip that had a speed gradient (the blade method invalidates this).

It works perfectly to reduce the earthquake effect a few seconds into the clip whilst maintaining all the remaining effects.

Happy editing!

How to enable or disable (switch off and on) an effect using keyframes? 02 May 2021 09:11 #114282

• DJMacT
Thanks for the suggestion. The unfortunately with the plugin I’m using there is no control for mix or opacity that I can control. I had to us the blade to segment the clip per other suggestions.

• Page: