fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to Stabilize In Camera Whip Pan Transitions? 15 Jan 2021 20:24 #112109

OK, folks who are smarter than I,

I've been trying to figure out for MONTHS how to use the FCP stabilizer with an in camera whip pan transition.

The problem I face is that at the end of the whip, because the camera moves fast and the horizon line or object data the stabilizer uses to anchor itself with, go out of frame during the whip pan, so the stabilizer looses its tracking which causes the frame to go all crazy.

Daniel Schiffer on YouTube ( www.youtube.com/c/Znqt/featured ) does this in almost all of his videos, it's where I learned how to do whip pans and speed ramping.

He's mentioned many times in his tutorial videos that he adds stabilization to his whip pan clips, but never teaches how to stabilize a whip pan, which has been super frustrating for me.

I've searched high and low with Google and simply can't find a solution.

Was hoping someone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of a tutorial or maybe let me in on the trick!

Maybe I can split the whip pan clip at the point when the whip starts and only apply the stabilizer to the first portion with less movement. Only thing with that is, once stabilization has been applied, of course it'll crop in a bit to compensate for the frame wiggle, but it doesn't tell me how much it's cropped in so that I can match the crop factor with the second portion of the split clip (the whip motion).

Thanks everyone!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jared_B. Reason: added more context

How to Stabilize In Camera Whip Pan Transitions? 19 Jan 2021 19:45 #112208

BUMP:

Still haven't received a reply, still holding out hope

How to Stabilize In Camera Whip Pan Transitions? 19 Jan 2021 19:57 #112209

• Albo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 7
It would be usefull to see what you are trying to do.

• Page: