fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can/should you delete render files in the Finder or only inside FCP? 16 Jan 2021 19:01 #112136

Was making space and wondered if deleting render files from the finder (Library>show package) would be harmful vs. usual way from inside of FCP. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can/should you delete render files in the Finder or only inside FCP? 16 Jan 2021 21:12 #112145

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
Inside FCP is always best, or use Final Cut Library Manager from ArtcicWhitness. Even though I'm very comfortable with poking around in the Library package contents, I avoid it as much as possible. Accidents happen, and an accident inside that package could be disastrous.
www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Can/should you delete render files in the Finder or only inside FCP? 16 Jan 2021 22:01 #112150

Thanks, I figured. It just seemed it'd be easier to do in the finder while I was in there.

Can/should you delete render files in the Finder or only inside FCP? 17 Jan 2021 11:43 #112160

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

Wondering wrote: Was making space and wondered if deleting render files from the finder (Library>show package) would be harmful vs. usual way from inside of FCP. Thanks.

What Ben said is correct. However if you use the library inspector Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Cache and designate an external folder to store the cache files, those are easier and safer to delete in Finder.

That is because they are all within a single bundle -- separate from the library. The cache bundle includes thumbnails, waveforms, optical flow analysis files and render cache. The entire bundle can be deleted. I normally do that when FCP is shut down.

But (as Ben said) the best solution is using Final Cut Library Manager -- especially if you have many libraries. Instead of treating each one separately, it scans them all and allows taking collective action on all.

• Page: